Security Installer Community

Advice Please

uwave

That's not the case anymore matt that's the old way

On direct hosted architecture no modem = wait for poll

On the hosted platform it is different. I can do a short video and demo if you like by unplugging the modem?

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

I thought static ip for gprs pstn and ip units now didn't work this way. No need for the old sms command.

I don't have static IP on direct hosting. I could have it but when we looked at it the cost of having it was around £3k and after just spending £1k for the modem setup I decided against it as I'd already made the investment. Hosted has the luxury of fixed IP. I have a similar issue with GPRS/PSTN. 3rd party installer can connect them to us as they go via the host and on to is via RCTs but 4i can't sell GPRS/PSTN as we are in direct architecture with our own MCTs.

You'll be fine as all yours are via the host so you don't need to wait for polls to come in and its is very fast.

Not much clearer for me I'm afraid.  So, does hosted mean that the client has an open interface for connection, or just that the client contacts the host platform every few seconds to determine if a tunnel should be opened ?

Not much clearer for me I'm afraid.  So, does hosted mean that the client has an open interface for connection, or just that the client contacts the host platform every few seconds to determine if a tunnel should be opened ?

Webway have 2 architectures

Direct means the signals go direct from the customers premises to the arcs 'receivers' and the arc maintains that hardware.

Hosted is like the old Redcare/Dualcom/emizon model that rather than signals going direct to the arc, they go to webway who in turn pass them on to the arc. On the hosted platform they implemented a fixed IP and apn to make getting a connection to the SPT very quick but those with direct architecture had to have a modem on the back of the receiver that sent a txt to the SPT telling it to call in which is slightly slower. Most installer connect via a hosted platform. Us, custodian, adt are on direct. I think most of the others are on hosted but don't haves definitive list.

I like iOS 7. Yes, it does appear as if they have taken some good bits of Android and good bits of Windows phones and copied them. It's a better OS as a result.

Still on the fence about Android and Apple. My iPhone was far closer to what I wanted/needed out of the box than my HTC. But I can't make it do somethings I want that I easily made the HTC do.

I have been using iPhone from the start and love it. I am an apple fan. That's no secret and my niece calls my house the fruit bowl as there are so many apple logos about. Before Mac, I was an Amiga fan. Still IMO the best computer I owned. I love it when the OS just seems to help you use it. The Amiga was that way. The Mac is and the iPhone has been from day one. As they added more and more to the iPhone, it got cluttered and I think why they have done with iOS 7 is a step in the right direction. I am sure we will see several tweets over the 7.1 and 7.2 versions.

I can not get in to android. I have one for testing at work and I have to say it I confusing. One problem is there is too many ways to do one thing. You can have more than one contacts manager on it. The S3 has at least two contact managers built in and it seem unclear which to use. I am a techy, so would work it out. But a phone should be simple. My mum and sister call me for tech support and they are all now apple users which makes my life very easy.

Archived