Security Installer Community

De-Install An Optima Alarm Control System

Britbolton

Hi

I am trying to de-install a security system controlled by an ADE Optima Control system. The system was installed in 1999 and has not been used/maintained for several years. When I turn power off to the control panel the outside strobe and sounder alarms until I reconnect power. Even when I disconnect the battery in the control panel the sounder still goes off when the power to the control panel is turned off (this could be irrelevant to the main issue). Within the control panel there are wires into each of the TADB terminals on the main PCB i.e. there is probably a tamper circuit on the external sounder.  As the sounder on the external wall is fairly inaccessible is there any way of immobilising/decommissioning the external bell/sounder without having to gain access (via a tall ladder) to it?

Thanks

Hi

I am trying to de-install a security system controlled by an ADE Optima Control system. The system was installed in 1999 and has not been used/maintained for several years. When I turn power off to the control panel the outside strobe and sounder alarms until I reconnect power. Even when I disconnect the battery in the control panel the sounder still goes off when the power to the control panel is turned off (this could be irrelevant to the main issue). Within the control panel there are wires into each of the TADB terminals on the main PCB i.e. there is probably a tamper circuit on the external sounder.  As the sounder on the external wall is fairly inaccessible is there any way of immobilising/decommissioning the external bell/sounder without having to gain access (via a tall ladder) to it?

Thanks

For £20 ish! (Maplins TLc) simplest quickest option is fit new battery in the control unit, that will hold you against any mains fails for several years as long as the panels charging circuit is ok.

if the siren is difficult to get at, especially if you talking cherry picker or towers, then really you need someone experienced, equipped, trained and insured to access it safely. so i have to say get in a local company - suggest look at the registered installer listed in this forum, but i fear its not going to be cheap exercise just for the siren disablement.

Have to ask, as you have a system already installed why not use it? it's often not what is actually lost but the damage done stealing it and the feeling of uninvited invasion, especially for any female members of the home.

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

As the sounder on the external wall is fairly inaccessible is there any way of immobilising/decommissioning the external bell/sounder without having to gain access (via a tall ladder) to it?

Yes, do what you've done and have some patience and it will die in it's own time. And annoy yourself and your neighbours in the process. But it will die eventually.

If it hasn't been serviced for 14 years, I doubt the battery in the sounder would last that long. It's annoy the neighbours or take the bell down.

i've been surprised how long those siren nicads can last,

i'd vouch most ewb!s installed over last 20 years have had built-in cut outs, but if a home made jobby who knows whats inside that old cover? proper pcb or just a relay and a 7amp on trickle., i've known the older style standby to last 18 years on a panel

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

I once did a job where the ancient panel had long since been removed but when I took the H box down,
I got a poorly sounding wail for a bit! (Really shouldn't have dropped it on that old lady below...).

Must have been about 15 years old at the time.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

(Really shouldn't have dropped it on that old lady below...).

Must have been about 15 years old at the time.

the ladies age quickly round your neck of the woods

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Archived