Security Installer Community

How Easy To Change A Wired Alarm System?

a note of the panel model/make used might just help us help you.

i understand the feeling of cheek, but being pragmatic, these days the alarm installed has likely served as a deterrent against cable and/or copper theft, subsequent delays and damage during construction, perhaps protected white goods, fittings and contractors tools/stores, si to me thats being extremely prudent.

i'd think it harsh to go in all guns blazing tbh. you were happy for the cables to go in, you got a panel, detectors and siren on top.

while likely it is not as a sophisticated System as you want eventually, if it is working for now and serving a purpose, until you can have the 'better spec' alarm fitted at your leisure, the builder surely done you a good service?

Going to the topic heading, todays detectors, even contract ranges bought by sparks from the the electrical wholesalers are very reliable, external sirens much of a muchness tbh so those bits will work on any wired panel of your preference, with perhaps minor changes to resistors - and with far less mess internally, you can always Ebay the bits you swap out or give to a local charity concern, so i'd ask was there any real harm done?

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Yes it was specified and paid for as wiring only which is what is written on the order form. The alarm isn't a standard spec item as many of the houses don't have one fitted. Builder is Bloor Homes.

My initial thoughts were that it wasn't a problem, it's a freebie and it'll start me off until I get the correct alarm fitted.

But then I've started wondering if it's going to be a problem to change it it, hence querying if the control panels tend to have fairly standard internal layouts as obviously the nice long lengths of first fix wiring that were hanging out the walls to work with aren't there now. And potentially there's a need to make good / redecorate the walls if replacement kit has a smaller footprint than what is fitted.

It's not the first thing they've got wrong either so yes it's a bit annoying :)

Waiting for confirmation but from a visual ID last night the keypads appear to be Eurosec with LCD display so guessing the panel is a Eurosec CP8 or similar?

Plan was to install a Scantronic system with prox reader keypads.

Yes it was specified and paid for as wiring only which is what is written on the order form. The alarm isn't a standard spec item as many of the houses don't have one fitted. Builder is Bloor Homes.

My initial thoughts were that it wasn't a problem, it's a freebie and it'll start me off until I get the correct alarm fitted.

But then I've started wondering if it's going to be a problem to change it it, hence querying if the control panels tend to have fairly standard internal layouts as obviously the nice long lengths of first fix wiring that were hanging out the walls to work with aren't there now. And potentially there's a need to make good / redecorate the walls if replacement kit has a smaller footprint than what is fitted.

It's not the first thing they've got wrong either so yes it's a bit annoying :)

Waiting for confirmation but from a visual ID last night the keypads appear to be Eurosec with LCD display so guessing the panel is a Eurosec CP8 or similar?

Plan was to install a Scantronic system with prox reader keypads.

You will have no issues swapping it out, the Risco Eurosec is a very cheap panel, but one that punches well above its weight.

Keypads and end station are smaller footprint than most, so footprint and making good is not likely an issue, unless units are in a confined space.

why change working already wired detectors?

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Thanks guys, some useful information and comments amongst the banter! :)

Builder has come back and confirmed the panel is a Eurosec CP8 so whilst it's something to get started with I don't believe it supports prox keypads or voice dialler/comms which were on my wish list so I'll be looking to change it out, hopefully as you've said this won't be too much of a problem to do. I think the Eurosec keypads are ugly but I know from reading around the forums you'll disagree with me on that one arfur! :)

Installation company is Electract Ltd, they've already started jumping in with quotes to upgrade to a CPX panel, etc. I think all I want from them is the engineer code so it can be removed without a racket :)

Archived