Security Installer Community

Is This Live?

skywalker

Yes, about 90V, that was my point.

bee

ok, if we agree.,belt from between 80 and 150 ac can be unpleasant but is not as dangerous.

if so, the neon because it will indicate from below to 500 volts, is highly reliable at warning of a possible (i.e. higher) dangerous voltage potential?

The metre has never let me down tbh.

Of it ever does then I will post on here.

being serious, you test it before use every time for the day it do's let you down and then you don't get dead!

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

neon striking voltage is far lower the very dangerous 240 vac, even building sites use 110 vac and on glass bulbs, which when broken exposes bare electrodes. 110 will still give you a fair jolt but less likely to kill.

how about the hundred yards dash ;).

Sorry, i'm not being evasive but i'm not sure of your question, where did i say or intimate safe isolation was pants?

Safe Isolation while is always advisable is not usually practical in a busy environment, do you agree or not?

It's 55v on site transformers

And why would safe isolation be impractical?

site Transformers are still 110 vac to my knowledge

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Site_Equipment_Index/Site_Transformers/index.html

read what i posted earlier to save duplicity

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

neon striking voltage is far lower the very dangerous 240 vac, even building sites use 110 vac and on glass bulbs, which when broken exposes bare electrodes. 110 will still give you a fair jolt but less likely to kill.

how about the hundred yards dash ;).

Sorry, i'm not being evasive but i'm not sure of your question, where did i say or intimate safe isolation was pants?

Safe Isolation while is always advisable is not usually practical in a busy environment, do you agree or not?

I inferred it because you are stating that voltage pens are better instrument than an actual meter?

Safe Isolation is paramount. It is never too busy or impractical. EVER. This is why we have proving units, calibrated meters and lock off devices.

site Transformers are still 110 vac to my knowledge

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Site_Equipment_Index/Site_Transformers/index.html

read what i posted earlier to save duplicity

55v across a single phase. Double to get 110v. You are not an electrician.

I inferred it because you are stating that voltage pens are better instrument than an actual meter?

Safe Isolation is paramount. It is never too busy or impractical. EVER. This is why we have proving units, calibrated meters and lock off devices.

55v across a single phase. Double to get 110v. You are not an electrician.

as above

110Vac centre tapped.

So from one conductor to earth is only 55Vac.

Voltages of above 50Vac and currents above 30 mA can cause cardiac arrest.

Hence the use of 30mA RCD's

It's not impossible to get a 110Vac shock if your "clever" enough to be in contact with both conductors.

only ever seen yellow transformers on site for 110v which is 55v peak to peak,

seen utility co's van which have inverters / gennys onboard with purple sockets along side normal yellow ones which is 24-50v for some purpose ?

Mr th2.jpg Veritas God

They're also very useful in tracing a broken phase conductor between point A and B without ripping every thing between apart!.

Whether it be an extension cable, a RFC, a spur to an alarm, a kettle lead- a quick easy method before bringing out the big guns for final verification.

110Vac centre tapped.

So from one conductor to earth is only 55Vac.

Voltages of above 50Vac and currents above 30 mA can cause cardiac arrest.

Hence the use of 30mA RCD's

It's not impossible to get a 110Vac shock if your "clever" enough to be in contact with both conductors.

i know, hence the reference to 55v

Archived