Security Installer Community

The Next Step..

If its fire quals then its back to college dude, but its unnessasary imo. You understand basic principles ect with the modules you will have a good basis to move forward!

Part p guys are doing fire round my way

I was a fire alarm engineer today. I have been working on fire for best part of ten years, but we dont get that much fire work.

If i was to do these fia courses would they give me qualifications or just theory in my head?

Thats different then, if you know what your doing.

Loads on here saying go on a FIA course and your then a fire engineer, what a load of ********.

Being a part P sparky has **** all to do with fire systems, especially designing them.

If you know what your doing with fire alarms, to a reasonable level, i dont mean know everything and all the ins and outs - then the FIA courses are there to compound your knowledge, fill in the blanks and teach you the high end technical abilities of fire alarm design.

For you, the FIA courses would be good and if if you every needed to prove compitence, then they would be a good start.

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

Loads on here saying go on a FIA course and your then fire alarm engineer

Who said this?

Being a part P sparky has **** all to do with fire systems, especially designing them

Totally agree, was making the point that he doesent need a particular piece of paper to start doing it.

Especially as he has been doing it a while

when i did my 236 we spent less than an hour on fire alarms. I then did the numerous fia fire course's and had my eyes opened. Training wise most are a waste os time but imo these were well worth doing.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Would a company employing a sub contractor be looking for these certifications?

I have been working in the trade for ten years now but have no piece of paper to say i can actually install and commission fire alarms.

I have an nvq level 3 but it didnt cover fire.

I got one of them and when I went for a job the Manager guy said 'That is worth as much as the paper is worth and what counts is the experience you carry'  However never got that job as I turn them down,  Wanted me to work for £6.08ph.   However Firm I work for now said 'We rather you had real life experience has that is better than class room experience where everything works fine'

I got one of them and when I went for a job the Manager guy said 'That is worth as much as the paper is worth and what counts is the experience you carry' However never got that job as I turn them down, Wanted me to work for £6.08ph. However Firm I work for now said 'We rather you had real life experience has that is better than class room experience where everything works fine'

Real life experience is great but...

What if the guy that teaches you real life experience doesent do it right?

With the fia courses it helps you understand

Regs which is important as there are a lot of people out there who know how to install cable but dont understand the requirments of bs5839.

Understanding The requirements of 5839 are imo

Why these courses were invented. Not to become an automatic fire engineer

I doubt the bloke cared what paper work you had as he was clearly looking for a cleaner for £6 an hour!

Real life experience is great but...

What if the guy that teaches you real life experience doesent do it right?

With the fia courses it helps you understand

Regs which is important as there are a lot of people out there who know how to install cable but dont understand the requirments of bs5839.

Understanding The requirements of 5839 are imo

Why these courses were invented. Not to become an automatic fire engineer

I doubt the bloke cared what paper work you had as he was clearly looking for a cleaner for £6 an hour!

To be honest I did get the feeling about that guy and about 3months later the company was shut down by Trading Standards. 

I did attend college thou while employed at ADT as apprentice which gave me a basic insight in installing and maintaining a Security & Fire system but I have since then been on FIA course and various other training courses to carry on learning new and changes to Regs which always happen and often learned more and better related stuff now.  

Archived