Security Installer Community

The Next Step..

It has been an on going thought for a while. But the points made on here are valid ones - one side of me says stick to what i am doing especially with an 11 week old and a 4 year old. Nothing is certain though, even an employed regular income.

I have been trying to get a venture in fitting alarms to hgv fuel tanks and catalytic converters on vans and 4x4 off the ground. I have fitted around 7 now in various forms, but until i turn it legit it wont go anywhere, and i cant turn it legit until it goes somewhere - if that makes sense.

I think i ultimately want to go down the automotive route, based on personal life interests. At least its less of a minefield than the trade we are in at the minute.

I was in the same situation when I considered it, but there were the children to think about. Plus I was`nt going to nick contracts, I could have had one but it was not going to pay enough on its own.

Which nvq?

Lots of people dont have those pieces of paper and their still doing it, and some of them very well

I have level 2 and 3 city and guilds nvq through skills for security, formerly called sito.

Not many companies have actually heard of the course.

I did 3 yrs of c&g alarms whilst also doing 3 yrs of 236 electrical. The alarms side i ended up training the course leader on what we did now as opposed to what we did in the 70's. Proud of the certs but pretty meaningless

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

I did 3 yrs of c&g alarms whilst also doing 3 yrs of 236 electrical. The alarms side i ended up training the course leader on what we did now as opposed to what we did in the 70's. Proud of the certs but pretty meaningless

Sounds like my tutors!

They dipped into alarms and got me to explain because their so out of touch!

I remember confusing the **** out of one of the guys, had no motor training but knew switching ect. Gave me forward reverse inch emergency stop ect, gave it back 5 mins later and he said "no this isnt right" i said are you sure it looks right to me. Scratching his head carries on looking and turns on "oh it does work"

They get used to a way of doing things and becomes more like colours to terminals in a preset order rather than seeing how it works which is important to learn as some things are not the same and come with different terminology. I always said to the boss i want to know what makes it work not "put that wire in there"!

Luckily he knew the answers!

Archived