Security Installer Community

Eu Cookie Law A Step Backwards?

sixwheeledbeast

For those not aware this is a law that came into force in EU on 26th May 2011.

It's plan is to warn users of a site about advertisement and tracking cookies and allow them to opt out/in.

This controls if they are stored on your machine locally or if you wish to reject them

The reason I bring this up is as more an more sites start to conform, the more the banners are doing my head in.

Especially browsing on a mobile, chasing a button on a popup/banner around a small screen.

I use Firefox and I am capable of managing my cookies myself, for security.

I use plugin's that delete LSO's and cookies on close. I also use Ghostery to block analytics and AdBlock to kill all advertising.

This up until lately was making my web user experience very pleasant.

However due to the EU I now have to put up with banners and buttons on every site, every session.

Either way we are going to be seeing a lot more popups and banners on the web in the EU.

Also due to fact there is not a standard method in confirming cookies, people will be confused by it all.

Is this a step backwards for the web?

Does your company website(s) conform, yet?

What are your opinions?

Worth a watch and covers my views on the matter too.

Its pointless.

A lot of ecomm sites need cookies to work else you have to use a less secure method that can be exploited.

One of those 'dont understand the issue lets ban this bit' without understanding the implications.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

It drives me nuts too. Like yourself I had setup software on my gateways to deal with the nasties so web browsing was quite pleasant. I don't now the laws around this but what would stop you hosting your website outside the eu, would this be a way around it ornusnit companies operating in the eu that must comply?

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

I don't now the laws around this but what would stop you hosting your website outside the eu, would this be a way around it ornusnit companies operating in the eu that must comply?

AFAIK it's to do with where the site is hosted.

So yes this would be a way around.

Overall a better solution to the banners IMO would be a one line (HTML) modifcation to every website.

This would locate what browser cookie setting you have selected. If your browser is not compatible auto-opt in with a warning.

This banners everywhere approach is like going back 15 or more years were pop-up adverts where on every site.

TBH I agree with James, it's a pointless rule made by people that don't understand. With no thought on what it will do to the internet from a users perspective.

I use a FF plug in for the cookies "Self destructing cookies .3.3", it has a whitelist for exceptions

I spotted that the other day, looks good.

It's a pretty new add-on, I have been using my multiple add-on and tweaked cookie settings for years.

Definately seems worth adding in along side Adblock, Ghostery, Better Privacy, NoScript etc.

It doesn't work in Private Browsing, which I don't use but worth mentioning.

Archived