Security Installer Community

Starting up on your own

Brian c

B) Ian I can say that leaflet drops on the whole have proved very good for me. I have found that propertys less than 5 years old get the best result.

for every 100 on average I get 3 responses and 2 normaly end up as paying jobs. It may just be a battery change. (call out + battery)

My leaflets also include a £10 discount off any product or service provied by Team Security.

Sometimes though I have put out 5-600 and got nothing back. My best drop was a culdesack of 40 houses, I just happen to be passing and had 30 mins spare, so I pumped the leaflets in the letter boxs, In the next 5 weeks I picked up 5 new customers all under contract now, I had a fair bit to do with repairs and upgrade work on all 5 systems. It proved to be 30 mins well spent.

By the way I designed and printed the leaflets on my own computer and printed in black with my inkjet printer.(A5)

Adrian B)

37771[/snapback]

thats also a good cheap way too..bri have you any younger brothers/cousins etc print a few hundred off and pay them a few quid to deliver them with their mates..them young lads can walk for miles even more if theres a few quid in it.. :yes:it also gets free advertising that money cant buy!!

good luck with the venture bri....but one thing watch for those early quotes,dont give too much away as they may be the other co's in the area checking you out with false leads what gear you use/charge etc...it does happen so try and suss em out i sure youd tell if they seem to be wasting your time ask who else has quoted etc

38061[/snapback]

Thanks for the warning mate, hadn't thought of that! I can believe it happens.

:yes:

If you don't know......ask.

• 6 months later...
Guest Starlight

Hi Guys, I am kinda new on this forum but been posting for a while on ukpanels.

I work with a lot of Business Start-ups and have found www.anewbusiness.co.uk to be quite useful, however, a search on companies house website is advisable also.

On the note of website names. Getting your web address as your company name, whilst advisable to prevent trading off and to place on your business cards, a more descriptive name such as midlandscctvinstallation.co.uk would be better for someone working in that area than joebloggscctv.co.uk if you get me.

Before you start, find out about business workshops in your town, here in Bolton we have quite a good Business Enterprise scheme with free workshops and book keeping classes etc.

Hi Guys, I am kinda new on this forum but been posting for a while on ukpanels.

I work with a lot of Business Start-ups and have found www.anewbusiness.co.uk to be quite useful, however, a search on companies house website is advisable also.

On the note of website names. Getting your web address as your company name, whilst advisable to prevent trading off and to place on your business cards, a more descriptive name such as midlandscctvinstallation.co.uk would be better for someone working in that area than joebloggscctv.co.uk if you get me.

Before you start, find out about business workshops in your town, here in Bolton we have quite a good Business Enterprise scheme with free workshops and book keeping classes etc.

65444[/snapback]

Hi and welcome

I'd second your advise and add;

Get a good accountant

Try and build a customer base before going solo

If you can't - advertise wherever you can (word of mouth needs to start somewhere)

Take as much help as you can get

Get as many trade contacts as you can

Do a good job and you get repeat work

These are some of things I've learned so far. Mostly common sense....but important.

:yes:

It's been a bit of a mix really. Yell gets me some.

I think the most succesful method has been CCTV leaflets hand delivered to shops. 3 jobs and a couple of calls from about 200 leaflets. :D

This is an interesting topic, I havnt had the chance to read all the posts, though I get the drift.

I'm a bit too long in the tooth having been taught by some really good directors and M.D.'s of companies I've worked for.

Ina nutshell there is no real hard and fast solution for procuring work, all the ones I have read here work up to a point, and if they work for you then fine stick with it.One piece of advice that lends itself well here has been mentioned by you all and that is the one of throw enough s**t at the wall and some of it will stick, whichever course you choose. I tend to lean more towards the legwork end of the belief strategy and also the word of mouth recommendation. The hard work is getting work.

I too get the advertising magazines ringing me, just tell em your advertising budget has been allocated for the forseeable and they soon hang up. ;)

Bri

trade.gif

Archived