Security Installer Community

Starting up on your own

Brian c

I have a 1999 Transporter 2.5TDI currently having a reconditioned engine fitted which will have a 12month warranty on it. It will have a years MOT also when its finished and maybe 6 months tax. I would be looking for 5k for it.

I would still be using the VW if it hadnt went pop on me in March, i really liked that van!

When i knew the VW was knackered i took a new Vivaro out on a 3 year lease with full maint. I needed the reasurance that if the van broke i would not be faced with a large repair bill or no transport.

The Vivaro is great, slightly better than my VW when it was a goer.

Anyway if your interested PM me.

• 1 month later...

I dont know wether it is the same as commercial vehicles as non but when i set out on my own the company didnt own the vehicle but i did. This allowed me to claim personal mileage up to 40p per mile and made the tax side of things a lot easier making accounting bills cheaper. The vehicle payed for itself in a yaer without me getting shafted on tax. My accountant is awesome. I wont tell you how much tax i paid last year for fear of making the tax man cry.

Will you turnover more than 56k. Probably. If not dont register for VAT unless you are having to buy lots of gear. Why collect for the VAT man. My expense was all time so my turnover wasnt that large. I could rattle on all day but wont.

I sincerely wish you the best of luck. I have a great deal of respect for people willing to break the mould and make money off their own back.

Just watch the sharks out there.

BE wary of the Vito too, we have two, W reg is brilliant but the 03 from brand new has been //.B.W.F.//!

30735[/snapback]

The Vito is a bit pants. I used to have an R reg one, that was ****. Mechanic mate of mine says the gearboxes are prone to failing rather quickly.

Thanks for all the additional advice guys, keep it coming! :)

I was looking into contract leasing and I believe you can write off the full amount against VAT, but I presume you would have to be VAT registered first. What do you guys think, should I get something new on lease or but 2nd hand?

If you don't know......ask.

My current VIVARO is on Lease, everything covered tax tyres and exhausts, the works.

Good points are, fixed cost no breakdown/repair costs, shiney new van, dont have to sell it when i need/want a new one, good from a tax point of view i am led to believe.

Bad points are, after 3 years i have nothing to show for my cash, have to pay for 3 years or pay big style if i wanna get out of the deal.

You can get a lease hire deal where you own the van after the lease period is payed up but im not sure about fully maintained then.

£4k van, I would look at the 1.9td Fiat Scudo or Peuguot Partner. Big enough without going too big, good economy and drives well. Should be able to get a reasonable seconhand one for that.

I ran a 100,000 mile Fiat Uno van when I was in the road 1.7td. Went like a rocket and was very cheap!

• 3 weeks later...

Another quick update for anyone that's interested! :)

Well, I've done it! I've handed in my notice and I don't have another job to go to!

I'm not fully prepared yet, but I'm sure I never would be, and decided that taking the plunge is the only way to get started. I'll continue working up untill christmas and then... new year, new business!!. A loan is being processed at the moment and I'll have enough to cover my wages for the first three months in case things are slow and/or I'm waiting for payments. I'm prepared for January to be a fairly slow month and will use this time for other things. I've decided to use the first month to sort out a lot of things that are best done during the day. For example, H&S test for CSCS card, buying vehicle, signwriting, accountants etc. that I haven't had time to do.

I'm leaning towards buying a used estate car, as I feel it will be more appropriate for quotes and still able to be used for installs. I'm hoping to keep it within 4K.

There's still loads I don't know about business and it is a little daunting, but since handing in my notice, it's getting more and more exciting. :)

I haven't really advertised yet, although I've had a few phone calls from this site and have had to turn work down, so I'm not too concerned with potential work yet, as it seems to be out there. Also FYI, I've placed a free listing with yellow pages via they're website. I will probably get a 'proper' one sorted soon, but I wasn't aware you could be listed free, until now!(You also get listed with 118 ??? and on yell.com)

I'd just like to say, I've gained a wealth of knowledge from this site and knowing this kind of support is available here, just fills me with confidence. So, a special thank you to you Dave, for your many hours creating and maintaining this community. And also to the regular members for the constant good advice.

I look forward to updating you shortly, as I think things are going to start moving quickly now. :)

Brian

If you don't know......ask.

Archived