Security Installer Community

Starting up on your own

Brian c

I'd check it out if I were you, as I can't find you on yell.com.

37626[/snapback]

B) Well thanks for that just phoned yell.com they are aware there is a problem it seems it will all be up and runing again within 24hrs (Yea right!!) :(

It seems that currently you can only get anyone starting with an A or B.

Thanks brien

Adrian B)

:no: Sorry to tell you this I have an enhanced listing with yell.com. got it last April 04 so far I have had 2 calls from it. one got as far as a quote but that was it and the other was a lady down in plymouth with a flat battery. sorted that over the phone. Yellow pages has yet to prove itself as it only went in last Nov 04.

Its a hard slog if you get a formular that works please share it with me!

Adrian B)

37623[/snapback]

Im with the following

Yell.com

Yell pages

Yell phone

All a load of pants.

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

Im with the following

Yell.com

Yell pages

Yell phone

All a load of pants.

37690[/snapback]

It does seem that some people swear by it and others get very little from it.

I'm starting to think it may depend on your advert.

If you don't know......ask.

It does seem that some people swear by it and others get very little from it.

I'm starting to think it may depend on your advert.

Of course it does Brian, you have to stand out from the crowd if you can. Your logo wont sell you systems, dont put it in the ad in yellow pages. Plain old bold text along with your areas of service and what you do in at least a quarter column advert.

Word it so that it explains it in more laymans terms. What words and terms we take for granted leave Joe scratching his head thinking does that mean A or B, if you get my drift.

Make yourself look a bigger company than you are and dont be afraid to stretch the truth a little, ie all genuine quotes will be beaten. In reality you might not be able to beat a quote and it aint worth trying to or taking the job on a loss basis.

The yellow pages sales lady that visits me every year is very good in helping improve my ad. But i wont let her talk me into web ads. In 2 years with a web site i have had 2 enquiries from it and one of them was from some blonde in London, (think Colin scored for the work tho!). Oh and it will generate loads of calls from companies who will tell you they can put your website on the google search results 1st page. After about 2 of these a week your gonna be suicidal.

Dont be conned into business pages either.

Hi Brian Congrats and good luck.

Yelow pages is ok it just about pays for itself, yell.com and yell.phone a big pile of whatsit.

Web page very good (as long as you get it to the top of the google tree)

Keep an eye out for new builds Ive got loads of work from popping in on new builds when passing and offering a deal on the install to get a few maint contracts.

Always do a good job and you will always get repeat business, and allwaysĀ  insist on training the keyholders yourself Ive got business that way as well.

I hope this helps

Pete

37715[/snapback]

Thanks Pete. :D

I reckon times are changing and just as many, if not more, people now use yell.com as yellow pages. Also, if I search for 'security' in 'stockport', then click the 'burglar alarms and.....' link, there is only one company with weblink...until now!

When it's active, I will be listed either 1st or 2nd every time.

Also, when I use yell.com, I'm more inclined to look at the listings with weblinks and check out the webpage.

As for the new builds...I will do! ;)

I always do a good job!

Brian

:)

Of course it does Brian, you have to stand out from the crowd if you can. Your logo wont sell you systems, dont put it in the ad in yellow pages. Plain old boldĀ  text along with your areas of service and what you do in at least a quarter column advert.

Word it so that it explains it in more laymans terms. What words and terms we take for granted leave Joe scratching his head thinking does that mean A or B, if you get my drift.

Make yourself look a bigger company than you are and dont be afraid to stretch the truth a little, ie all genuine quotes will be beaten. In reality you might not be able to beat a quote and it aint worth trying to or taking the job on a loss basis.

The yellow pages sales lady that visits me every year is very good in helping improve my ad. But i wont let her talk me into web ads. In 2 years with a web site i have had 2 enquiries from it and one of them was from some blonde in London, (think Colin scored for the work tho!). Oh and it will generate loads of calls from companies who will tell you they can put your website on the google search results 1st page. After about 2 of these a week your gonna be suicidal.

Dont be conned into business pages either.

37718[/snapback]

Thanks for the info Ian.

Not sure about stretching the truth though. I thought if you said "all genuine quotes beaten" you would have to do the job for less than the other genuine quote?? :blink:

I don't believe I'd get much of a response from search engines as I'd have to search for "beacon security" and even then, I'm lost in the crowd! I think if you did have a weblisting, you would get more than 2 enquiries via your website.

Believe me, I'm already sick of offers of advertising space. I'll be advertising were I choose, I'm pretty clear on the image I want to project.

Anyway, soon find out when it goes active in start of feb.

:)

Me yellow pages advert was dwarft by the others on the page surely the salesman could have advised me a bit better.

Was getting the hard sales talk for business pages but wasnt having it.

Then went for yell.com enhanced listing after the salesmans yap, im on first page with a good explanation of what i do in keeping with the other listings on that page.

Then just before christmas went on yell telephone after a persistant saleswomens promises of how well it works.

At the end of the day they are just sales people trained to sell.

From the above i thought yell.com would be best, but ill wait a few months to see how it goes.

Ive thought about local paper advertising but can seem a bit tacky.

I might do a leaflet drop.

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

Archived