Security Installer Community

Client Bullies

JasonOfOz

Because he is a end user/client/customer.

You worked on it so you are at fault.

Not being funny, but you been doing this long? As it is a typical scenario.

Yep had it today.

Fixed a fault on a CCTV system yesterday, customer calls today to say that playbacks not working (that it's not on not and paying another call-out etc etc). Turns out after 10 minute phone call he was doing it wrong, playback was fine.

Very common for the last engineer to get the blame for something.

A post of mine from 3yrs ago.

25/30 yrs ago the manager of a site called on a Saturday with a problem.

This was in the days of an office answer phone giving the home number of the duty engineer, answered by whoever was there at the time (unpaid wife usually)

Because I was out on a call and did not contact him quick enough he rang back and 'had a go' at my wife, including swearing at her.

I came home and heard the story, rang him, let him have his rant then told him that before I even think about attending to his problem he will apologise to my wife.

This then got me the abuse.

I told him that as he was out of order in speaking to my wife, and then myself in that way and as I was not going to ask him to apologise to my wife a second time, that I would not be attending his premises.

He had yet another go saying that he will be contacting my boss and getting me the sack first thing on Monday morning, as I was refusing to sort the problem and leaving him with an alarm that would not work over the weekend.

I gave him the phone number so he did not get it wrong, and hung up.

I got in first as I knew that I would see my boss before the office phones were answered on Monday morning.

After explaining the situation, he made no comment, just told me to go off and carry on as normal.

Heard nothing that day, Tuesday, a different story.

I was told to go to site as there was someone there to see me, nothing to worry about though.

Arrived hoping not to see 'him', all ok, it was the Managing Director of the company.

He almost grovelled, could not apologise enough, gave my wife the largest bunch of flowers I had ever seen along with a huge box of chocolates and a hand written letter of apology to us both.

Now, 'him', was given the sack, (all those years ago you could do that sort of thing), I was told by the MD that he would not have any of his staff talking to anyone in that way, no excuses.

Nice to be backed up in that way don't you think?

While I was there with the MD, I replaced the broken contact in about 5 mins, and gave him the bill.

Someone told me I was ignorant and apathetic, I don't know what that means, nor do I care.

Magpie

You can't be surprised your co defended your position. I think most co would do the same. I can get new customers all day every day. Getting a good engineer is a little bit harder. I have good staff, I like and trust them, we're a bit like family. I can't thin of one customer I would trust over the word of one of them.

When I was in contracting, before we started on site we would regularly look at subbies with a view who we were going to screw over. Nothing personnel but if they weren't up to it they would pay the price.

This post is bout construction my advice would be stay away unless you have excellent management, engineers sat on shelf waiting for a call and a large bank balance. Construction legals are hard to find, your solicitor would be useless.

Customers!

No it wasnt nice and im pleased im out of contracting. We would check vat no. to co. and all sorts of other stuff, god help you if you got a RAL colour wrong.

Ive had it where an order was assigned to Ltd co that wasnt Ltd. subb does the work but cant get paid because his name is not on the order.

Get it right, document everything, notify every delay. If you dont you loose.

I posted on here about installers that did job for contractor where we where specified. The outcome is always the same as "someone wont get paid".

We just charged the contract value even though some muppet did the work. You want me to cry over this? "VICTIMS" I preffer Fools!

Im in poor company when i hear just what some proffessional types think about "tradespeople" my sore point is to the most part they are right.

Customers!

You want me to cry over this? "VICTIMS" I preffer Fools!

I've never been that financially or morally hard up enough to plot on screwing people screw over,

We would check vat no. to co.

checking co. & vat no. is the most basic part of trading relationship,

i hear just what some proffessional types think about "tradespeople" my sore point is to the most part they are right.

I assume "conmen to mugs" ?

Mr th2.jpg Veritas God

Archived