Security Installer Community

Fire Alarm Requirements In Flats

Mike J

Hi

I wonder if someone can advise.

My Mum lives in a block of flats, built circa 1960, and has just received a letter regarding the fire alarm in the building.

She lives in a flat which is owned by her, not rented and this is the same for the majority of others in the building. There are around 70 in total.

She has been advised to pay £2500.00 over the next 3 years to install a fire alarm and emergency lighting system.

My point is while there is validity in the fire alarm, the emergency lighting is overkill as the block has "trained traffic" who know where the exits are and do not need additional guidance.

Obviously its a big price to pay for her and she just wants to know whether all is needed as there is a rider on the letter basically saying "pay up or go to court".

Any comments would be appreciated.

cheers

Mike

She will own the lease, not the freehold presumably as its a flat, so the lease would be the first place to look. If she pay a service charge too then expenses like this may be provided for in that, all this should be in the lease agreement.

Originally said by Charles Babbage
On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.

This has come through as a separate requirement from the service charge.

Its a good point though but I am trying to ascertain if the requirement for the fire alarm and the safety lighting is justified in this building.

I see your trade, what is your area if I may ask?

There may have been a new risk assesment, hence the need for renewal. Emergency lighting is very important, for the residents, visitors and emergency services. Your comment on that is not valid IMHO.

The existing (if there is) fire system will be very old and if you dont know all heads should be relaced every 10 yrs and 5 for CO detection (Some even say 3). The old zoned panel will not be anything like a new digital dislayed unit. This could and WOULD asssit rescue services to get more detail faster and maybe even save your mothers life.

As noted examine the lease very carefully, even get some legal advise (CAB if she is a little skint, or just a canny soul :D).

She may well have to pay but there would need to be a decorating clause depending on the way the new is installed.

She could refuse the fire but not realistically the emergency lighting.

Lastly the quote with your figures is £175,000 Nice quote, you should be able to see copies of the 3 tenders and what they contain.

Can we quote, I bet most here could do better :D

Always amazed me how easy these things work. Management committee agree and Everyone HAS to pay up. CCTV get a ya vote and you pay even if you voted na. Suppose it's the downside of democracy LOL

Customers!

Its a reason I dont like leasehold. I like the idea of living in a flat when I get older, I look after some nice ones in Eastbourne on the front with nice sea views and communual areas for swingers, but I reckon I will have to buy a bungalow for the leashold reason

I like the idea of owning the lease hold on the flats & screwing service charges out the block...

Not that it's relevant anymore, once upon a time I had a PIA neighbour I now own the free hold of all my neighbours properties, you never know.

Customers!

Archived