Security Installer Community

Top 10?

Guest ericrixon

Trade members can see all the Forums including those viewable by members.

Be careful not to post privelaged information in publicaly viewable forums.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

The fuss was about how people can get little tid-bits of information and blag there way into a job. And I feel we have a duty to make people aware about our industry and allow them to learn more... but not to give someone information that could make DIYers think...."oh I can do that"... or "I can become an engineer cause I can change a 3 amp fuse!". Whilst I agree we should give out information to HELP the public and people in our industry... we should not tarnish our industry by letting people with *obviously* no experience get a job and ruin the good work the forum does in promoting the good side of the industry.

Is this not what moderating is about?? I simply thought I was doing my job of stopping people getting information that could potentially ruin our reputation. OK you might say giving someone information of the top ten manufacturers is nothing... but when he gets a job and bodges jobs which industry does it make look bad?

Hopefully its none of the people's companies on this forum he has applied to.

If he wants to learn then all well and good... and I have no problems with that.. but running before you can walk? I have been installing and servicing alarm systems for 4 years... and I still havents scratched the surface of this industry... how can he believe knowing what the top 10 companies are will give him insight into getting a job?

D

Hmm lets look at the facts here.

In Dales defence this guy has done one post we dont know anything about him and he is asking for trade information and has given an excuse that could or could not be plausable.

This forum is here to help people out and therfore cutting the guy short is possibly not the correct way to help.

The thing is what could this guy do with the information, in an interview it would be easy to tell if he was blagging or not.

It may be that he has another motive for finding this information?

I cant see what harm it would lead to be giving this information out so Dale I think is maybe being a little over protective and no offence Dale has aired on the side of caution.

Pete

in answer to the guys Q

DM

Baxall

Computar

Sony

Sanyo

Samsung

Jai

Tecton

Robot

Panasonic

Not necasarily in that order I hope this helps (but telling the truth will help more)

Pete

20733[/snapback]

I agree with most what you are both saying and can see both points of view. I think Pete sums it up completely with his statement though

If you don't know......ask.

how can he believe knowing what the top 10 companies are will give him insight into getting a job?

20766[/snapback]

We have no idea what job this person is applying for - there is no indication that he is applying for an engineering position. It may be that he is simply trying to start off in the industry, and if that is the case, a little groundwork into industry opinions will show an interest in the industry.

When I go for interviews, I find out what I can about the company, its products and its competition, but I have never claimed to be an expert on any of those three!

Just to put my two peneth in...........

Whilst i think Dale has a valid point i agree with everthing Pete(and others) have said in previous posts.

It does seem unusual that the original person "ericrixon" has,nt replied to all the comments, so as we would have some more information about why he wanted it.

But if i was in his shoes and seen some of the more off the wall comments then maybe i would,nt have bothered either!

the whole point, as i see it, of having this forum is to share our knowledge between ourselves and members of the public who want some info about our industry that they can trust. As Pete said if "ericrixon" had tried to blagg his way in then any competent interviewer would soon suss him out. More likely is that he/she wanted to creat a good impression and was using the forum as a resource to do so.

i personally have been in the security industry for the last 21 years but its only in the last 3 years that i have started being involved in CCTV and access when i moved to securiplex. My point is that you can be an experienced engineer but if you move to an company that has a different focus you need to (very quickly) learn an whole new aspect of an job you thought you knew well.

having read the answers i must admit i recognise most but some i did,nt know. :ph34r:

That is why i like this site so much - if there is something i don,nt know, i know there always somebody who will!!

whats the point in been pointed to this site by search engines if we don,t answer the questions we are asked!!

I can see what you mean Dale but i think you came over a bit over the top.

i,ll get off my soap box now, sorry about the tirade :blink::D

paul

THE BLACK KNIGHT

"Any comments / opinions posted are my opinion only and do not represent those of my employer or Company."

Well, Knowing the top 10 CCTV manufacturers would have got me the job I do now, It sounds like a typical request from recruitment agencies. If you can reel off a load of manufacturers then you must be an experienced engineer.

I added to my CV, experience with the following products, etc. And that made a huge difference in what jobs I was offered, It seems I was only offered the better jobs, and at least I got an interview and the job. I wasn't asked many CCTV related questions because the person (technical manager) doing the interview knew nothing, he thought a YC socket was RS232. So with a little research and some educated blagging I could have been a disshonest milkman for all they knew, When in truth I am a dedicated loyal CCTV engineer for 6 years getting the p**s taken out of me, and I did some graft and some mileage. Wage, Hours may have been poor, but the experience and knowledge gained for me is priceless.

Its a possibility the origional poster could be a recruiter for an agency wanting some brand names to look out for. Should recruitment agencies be allowed access to trade sections? In my experience Recruitment agencies are just salesmen where the product is you to them and them to you and Im going off them pretty quickly.

Oh I do have a tavcom certificate though, that should count for something nowdays.

I dont think recruitment agencies would qualify as trade members... for a start they aint trade!

I agree with you though Rich and this is why I had major concerns about blagging jobs... after all anyone can mention a few brand names and get a job... but they wont last long as they will soon get found out and sacked! Where as if they would have said they have a little knowledge and want to be trained then thats a different kettle of fish and they will *hopefully* be given chance to train on the job.

Archived