Security Installer Community

Alarm Ringing

Rekusu

Hi there,

Newbie here! I have a Honeywell Accenta Gen 4 control with Reson8 sounder. Self installed during a new build and all been

running well for the last 9 months.

This morning, I pressed the 'Set' button, the normal exit countdown started and when

finished, the alarm rang, but not with the normal two tone sound, just an extremely high pitched

continuous sound. I opened the front door and entered my code, but the sound continued

for about 30 seconds and gradually died, with a sort of decreasing 'throttling'

sound.

I have used engineer mode to check, and everything seems fine, although the bell test

brings back this high pitch noise (as I said above, not the normal two tone alarm.) The

log reveals nothing unusual.

It has been suggested that the sounder is not getting mains power and it is running off the

internal ni-cad battery, which is now probably near dead and as this runs down, the sounder would give a 'throttling'

sound.

But why a different tone to the normal alarm? How do I check if the sounder battery is getting power? Can I open the control panel and /or sounder without triggering the alarm by opening it when in engineer mode?

Many thanks in advance,

Rex

An Up-Date.

I have been playing around with the Control Panel and it seems that the battery is OK (12V output; but I'm not an electrician.) However, when I put the voltmeter across the mains input, before the transformer, the needle only twitches a micro amount; certainly not giving a reading on the 0-250 volt scale.

Then did an Alarm Test in Engineer mode. Bell on/off triggers the sounder and turns off instantly when 'off' is selected; Strobe on/off also triggers the sounder (should it?) which does not turn off instantly, but dies gradually.

I have the defaults set that after the exit countdown, and the system is activated, the strobe flashes x times and it seems that during the strobe flashing sequence, the sounder is also operating. So I just set the strobe to not flash, and everything appeared to be hunky-dory; until I caused an alarm activation. Everything works, plenty of noise so I entered my code to close the panel down but still the alarm was working. After it had not died, as before, I looked at the keypad display which requested a Reset. Resetting stopped the sounder.

But this is not how it should be operating.

Any assistance or advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

Rex

Rex,

You don't have a proper battery tester, sounds like you have your metre set to DC still so tbh I would just stop there and get a company in to service you system and give advice on upgrade etc as to me you have a faulty bit of equipment effecting the system.

!

Thanks for the various replies. I will admit that I am not a electrics expert, but I did fit the alarm myself and it has been working just fine for the last nine months.

However, I found that the 240v issue was because I had the meter set to DC rather than AC. There is 240v going to the sounder from the panel. Also, whatever terminals I touch, I get a 12v reading, so I figure that the sounder is getting its juice, but I have not yet been up a ladder to confirm at the sound end.

Seems to me that the sounder is activating during set-up when the strobe is working, but the nature of the noise 'dying' sounds like it is being battery powered and the battery is not holding much charge, rather than mains powered.

Any further thoughts?

Rex

Thanks for the various replies. I will admit that I am not a electrics expert, but I did fit the alarm myself and it has been working just fine for the last nine months.

However, I found that the 240v issue was because I had the meter set to DC rather than AC. There is 240v going to the sounder from the panel. Also, whatever terminals I touch, I get a 12v reading, so I figure that the sounder is getting its juice, but I have not yet been up a ladder to confirm at the sound end.

Seems to me that the sounder is activating during set-up when the strobe is working, but the nature of the noise 'dying' sounds like it is being battery powered and the battery is not holding much charge, rather than mains powered.

Any further thoughts?

Rex

If you have 240v at the sounder make sure the ladder you go up is a fibreglass or dry wooden one !!!

Archived