Security Installer Community

Cable 'Routing'

Brian c

You must have a whip and spurs as well, funny that alarm cable is marked as alarm cable and telephone as telephone, obviously you cant read. Bet you use it for mains as well.

25591[/snapback]

HAH. Are you trying to say that if you write "alarm cable" on the surface of rope it will do well?????? :w00t: Since I bet you are NOT trying that, you could insted then try to explain electrical and physical differencies between "alarm cable" and "telephone cable" ( in Britain ),

As you lost your bet you can buy my a cup of coffee in Essen, if you are coming there.. B)

HAH. Are you trying to say that if you write "alarm cable" on the surface of rope it will do well??????  Since I bet you are NOT trying that, you could insted then try to explain electrical and physical differencies between "alarm cable" and "telephone cable" ( in Britain ),

Hmm one's stranded one isnt funnily enough, alarm cable tends not to break off if used in terminals, you telling me alarm cable and telecom cable are the same thing in Finland?????!! :huh:

Mark Hawks

Ex BT Openreach Field Service

Now Self employed telecom and data engineer  www.mphtelecom.co.uk 

Also back doing sub contract work in the security industry.

Retained firefighter Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue

HAH. Are you trying to say that if you write "alarm cable" on the surface of rope it will do well??????  Since I bet you are NOT trying that, you could insted then try to explain electrical and physical differencies between "alarm cable" and "telephone cable" ( in Britain ),

Hmm one's stranded one isnt funnily enough, alarm cable tends not to break off if used in terminals, you telling me alarm cable and telecom cable are the same thing in Finland?????!! :huh:

25686[/snapback]

Not necessarily. You can use what ever cable you find, but you have to be able to prove that detectors get power they need. Also when mains has got off and the battery voltage has dropped to 12VDC.

Difference I see between telecom cables and alarm cable is that alarn cable is multithread core when telecom cable is singlethread core (sorry, there might be a REAL word for multi and singlethread core) . Also the wire diameter is smaller in telecom cable ( 0,5mm ).

Typically in 30 to 120 zone installations power loss in cables from the PSU to the Detector is 0,2 - 0,7VDC.

And when using LSA+ connectors in JB it is not messy anymore. I can send pictures later.

In the picture there is alarm cable what i found installed in Tampere. I guess it was a bit short... :lol:

post-3345-1096713652_thumb.jpg

Alarm panels and detectors have screw terminal block connections, solid strand cable is designed for IDC connections, if you use it with screw connections it snaps! Alarm cable (multi strand ) does not snap.

Eng, you can borrow my bat mate hitit

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Alarm panels and detectors have screw terminal block connections, solid strand cable is designed for IDC connections, if you use it with screw connections it snaps! Alarm cable (multi strand ) does not snap.

Eng, you can borrow my bat mate hitit

25824[/snapback]

Detectors (OPTEX, DSC, VISONIC, NAPCO, etc) has usually something between the screw and the wire so that the screw doesn't touch the wire directly.

But as I said before, you have to be very careful when stripping solid strand wire. Otherwise there is a small cut on the surface of the strand and it snaps almost by itself.

err - what is IDC?? BT - installer proof connection??

IDC

Insulation displacement connection,

as manufactured by Krone, ITT and others.

Regards

Bellman

Service Engineer and all round nice bloke :-)

The views above are mine and NOT those of my employer.

But as I said before, you have to be very careful when stripping solid strand wire. Otherwise there is a small cut on the surface of the strand and it snaps almost by itself.

Instead of having to be so careful why not use the correct cable in the first place instead of cutting corners using the wrong type of cable?????????

Mark Hawks

Ex BT Openreach Field Service

Now Self employed telecom and data engineer  www.mphtelecom.co.uk 

Also back doing sub contract work in the security industry.

Retained firefighter Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue

Instead of having to be so careful why not use the correct cable in the first place instead of cutting corners using the wrong type of cable?????????

25836[/snapback]

Thanks Bellman. I usually use Krone LSA+ in JB:s.

Problem is that I haven't yet found good screened twistedpair multistrand cable. There is "NOVAK" and "JAMAK" (don't know if these tell you anything since those might be Finnish names for cable type) but they are so THICK, it is harder to handle, 4 times more expensive and their capasitance is 3 - 4 times higher than in "MHS" (telecom) cable I am using.

Why am I so interested of the capasitance is that HHL - products we are using have 2,4km long addressable bus. It just does not work in any other cable type than shielded twisted pair with low capasitance. If capasitance is four times higher it practically means 600m addressable bus. This is not option in 5-10 % of premises I install.

Though if you have product in your mind that could do 2,4km (1,2km is enough)addressable bus with alarm cable and has product line from 16 to at least 512 zones, controlpanels can be supervised from one place over TCP/IP simultaneously (at least 32 to 64 panels at the time), I am open to suggestions.

Accidentaly I found during writing this a KLMA - cable that is marked for instrumentation- (again I don't know if this is correct term), alarm- and pagin systems. This is though twisted quad (four wires twisted), still not multistrand, only available as 2 and 4 core cable and I didn't find capasitance spesifications.

Archived