Security Installer Community

Cable 'Routing'

Brian c

Does anyone else find themselves reading georgahti's posts with a Finish accent or is it just me.

Jef

LMAO :w00t:

I will from now on!

Georgahti,

I had big problems with a takeover job recently where the system was wired in solid core cable, mainly in the panel with the tampers where they were joined in a strip of terminal block. Each time I tried to close the lid on the panel another cable would break off. This simply doesn't happen with stranded cable. Does this happen to you?

26012[/snapback]

Not for me personally (coz i know the trick), but have also fixed hundreds of alarms due to BAD stripping of single core cable. This though needs a bit of practise as I have said before.

govorish pa russkij? talar du svenska?

To be honest my german is something like 12 words, also russian :rolleyes: . Swedish I speak a bit :huh: . But cable routing is absolutely out of my vocabulary in those languages.. :lol:

govorish pa russkij? talar du svenska?

To be honest my german is something like 12 words, also russian :rolleyes: . Swedish I speak a bit :huh: . But cable routing is absolutely out of my vocabulary in those languages.. :lol:

26025[/snapback]

bet ya divint speak geordie but..nah wada meen like eh...

breff,Oct 3 2004, 12:18 PM]Alarm panels and detectors have screw terminal block connections, solid strand cable is designed for IDC connections, if you use it with screw connections it snaps! Alarm cable (multi strand ) does not snap.

While i do not dispute the possible outcome of using single core in connections i have to say you are totally wrong this time Breff, having said that your probably not old enough to remember the GPO. (Incidentally, Gardiners call it 4 pair GPO cable).

The good old GPO used single core long before IDC connections were used for telephony connectors so clearly it wasnt "designed" for IDC blocks, more like the other way round.

As Georg has pointed out already there is as always a knack to stripping single core cable. If you knick the core slightly it will tend to snap so using side cutters is a no no. Incidentially i have seen this in RG59 quite alot also.

Well smack my bum with a cricket bat :o

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Archived