Security Installer Community

Cable 'Routing'

Brian c

....and desperately needs replacing as the nice local company that installed it (that thankfully dont exist anymore) cabled the system up in telecoms cable and I seem to be getting lots of problems with broken wires. ...... Why is it that some companies use telecoms cable for everything... including alarm cricuits? I use it to connect the alarm system to the phone line, but thats it! Ive been to a few installs and found the entire system wired in telecoms cable... and customers wonder why they get problems.

20534[/snapback]

Funny. I use ONLY telecom cables in alarm circuitry because twisted pair cable is better for data and you can use longer cable lenghts. NEVER had a problem with cables. Though I agree that you have to be extremely careful when stripping it.

Funny. I use ONLY telecom cables in alarm circuitry because twisted pair cable is better for data and you can use longer

You must have a whip and spurs as well, funny that alarm cable is marked as alarm cable and telephone as telephone, obviously you cant read. Bet you use it for mains as well.

Mark Hawks

Ex BT Openreach Field Service

Now Self employed telecom and data engineer  www.mphtelecom.co.uk 

Also back doing sub contract work in the security industry.

Retained firefighter Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue

Funny. I use ONLY telecom cables in alarm circuitry because twisted pair cable is better for data and you can use longer cable lenghts. NEVER had a problem with cables. Though I agree that you have to be extremely careful when stripping it.

I hope you dont have a BT engineer around as they will think its extension wiring and start Teeing in or diverting the prs :huh:

25589[/snapback]

:no::o:o:no:

Systems MUST be installed with the correctly specified cable.

Cat 3 telecom cable isn't one of them :!:

Regards

Bellman

Service Engineer and all round nice bloke :-)

The views above are mine and NOT those of my employer.

25589[/snapback]

Regards

Bellman

25596[/snapback]

Really?!? :blink:

Here in Finland there is no cable restrictions in alarm systems. Besides some Finnish manufacturers demand use of shielded twistedpair telecom cable in their alarm systems.. Of course it doesn't have to be telecom cable but it clearly has less capasitance than any other cable type (not counting CAT5 and CAT6 cables).

25589[/snapback]

Regards

Bellman

25596[/snapback]

Here in Finland there is no cable restrictions in alarm systems. Besides some Finnish manufacturers demand use of shielded twistedpair telecom cable in their alarm systems.. Of course it doesn't have to be telecom cable but it clearly has less capasitance than any other cable type (not counting CAT5 and CAT6 cables).

25603[/snapback]

Since Finland is part of the EU shouldn't you be installing to the same standards we do?

Also which manufacturers that you use specify telecoms cable?

Regards

Bellman

Service Engineer and all round nice bloke :-)

The views above are mine and NOT those of my employer.

25589[/snapback]

Regards

Bellman

25596[/snapback]

25603[/snapback]

Since Finland is part of the EU shouldn't you be installing to the same standards we do?

Also which manufacturers that you use specify telecoms cable?

Regards

Bellman

25605[/snapback]

Hmm.. There is ofcourse at the moment small mess with all kind of standards because EN - standards are replacing old national ones. There are some companies that sell 6 core "alarm cable" and I have tried it but still didn't find it better than telecom cables available here.

Manufacturer is HedPro.

Could you tell me why CAT3 telecom cable is not specified? Too small wire diameter?

Noise probs, but more importantly why is Tampere the "Manchester of Finland", is it always pissing down there, or have you got a dodgy bunch of cheating ponces for a football team?

25646[/snapback]

Noise problems? What type of noise? Are you sure?

Funny that you mentioned football. Here is even football club called Tampere United. Original reason i guess is in textile industry.. To be honest, I don't know because nickname is older than me..

You are having a laugh arnt you, Did you not know that the UK is the only country in the EU that are mug enough to actually adhere the the EU laws, I mean even in brussels they ignore them! But dont get me started on Polotics.

Oooo im looking forward to the General Election next year, what fun it will be.

Regards.

Mark

secure4.me.uk digital cctv

Archived