Security Installer Community

Video Quality Difference On Handheld Monitor And Dvr

If your meter shows video levels then theres half a chance it will show sync pulses. It will probably overlay a squiggly line on the display, and you need 1 volt peak to peak on this squiggle...

but I just need to know why I can see image fine in the office with the balun plugged into my handheld monitor but the same balun plugged into the dvr gives an un-useable image.

Simple, a monitor is much more tolerant of your poor quality video signal than your dvr.

Try a test camera over the 150m balun run to see if its any better than the wireless link

Mr th2.jpg Veritas God

Thank you, I had already stumbled on the idea of ground loop inteference and have ordered a couple of filters, if thats not it they'll be useful to have anyway.  I'll be trying my colorbar generator over the balun to the dvr when I go back next week to have a look at the cat5 link and try the level meter.  I was wondering on the possibility of the signal being too strong rather than too weak aswell and whether a 75ohm termination may be needed.  The picture on the dvr was intermittent between no signal and a very grey skewed and fuzzy image.  Thinking about the potential of ground loop interference, the yagi aerial on the reciever is attatched to a metal pole attatched to the tin shed, which would be a source of grounding, I may try insulating the pole from the bracket aswell.

It's better to remove a ground loop problem at source whenever possible.

If the levels were too high I would expect the picture to be stable but lack quality. Althought this may depend on the DVR.

I know some units will crash/freeze intermittantly if the signal is too hot.

Eithier way the best thing to do is check with a SLM at the DVR.

Archived