Security Installer Community

Rookie - Intruder Alarm Questions.....

jmsa7

Hello,

I'm a rookie service Engineer mostly working with fire detection systems with little experience in intruder alarm systems.

There is a job I have to do in which I have to do a functional check in different alarm systems on a big site in different buildings. Each building has its own panel with door contacts and PIR's. The panels involved are Menvier TS900, Nexus 8 and Abacus.

I believe that I should check the batteries, if the devices set and unset correctly, if the door contacts and PIR's activate the alarm and if the sounders go off. Anything that should be included?

Now my questions:

Batteries/Tamper: How do I properly check the batteries? When taking the cover, will the alarm go off?

PIR's: Some systems have 3 or more PIR's. Do I need to set the system for each PIR? If so how can I do it if I'm on my own? Will the system set if im wondering around inside the building?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Is this a homer or has your company asked you to do this and chucking you in the deep end? Testing and maintaining an intruder system is much like a fire alarm maintenance. You should have a check-list, docket and a meter for your readings.

Batteries/Tamper: Check voltage/charge-discharge rate/install date - Panel will go into tamper if you aren't in engineer mode (do you even have the code?)

PIR's: Stick it on walk test and check each device.

Download the user manuals for each of the panels you've listed, that will walk you through most of it before you touch a button but to be honest someone with a bit more experience should be doing it and you should be following them around with your little black book.

Either you have lied to your company on your ability, in which case you only have yourself to blame, or your company hasnt a clue, in which case you should be looking for a proffesional company to work for (you know the type that provides at least basic training). Either way you are out of your depth, and if you think a few minutes chatting on a forum will help you you have a lot to learn. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news and all that but you have no chance

As above, you've not really got a chance of carrying out a proper inspection on these panels without some experience in the field with an engineer first. Each panel has its own quirks and programming structure, so without a manual and a basic understanding of intruder alarm servicing, you're not going to get very far, especially if any of the panels have an LED display rather than a full text LCD (the Nexus will certainly have an LED display, the TS900 could have either and it depends on which model Abacus it is). You can easily change a programming field by mistake, with potentially disastrous concequences.

For future reference though, a basic service for myself would be:

Ask customer if they've had any problems with the system

Put system on test and in engineer mode

Check battery with IBT tester and correct charging rates/voltages

Check panel voltages are within spec and all connections are secure

Check mains supply voltages and fusing. Remove mains to check battery takes over properly

Check SAB battery and tamper return voltage

Check event log for any false alarms/failed sets etc

Walk test all detection devices, check coverage of volumetric/seismic devices and check installation meets specification and provides appropriate coverage

Check all devices and cabling/containment for damage, secure fixing, water ingress etc

Check all hold up devices through to ARC

Fully set system and check correct operation of remote signalling/audible signalling devices inculding confirmation

Quick check of programming (reset levels, timers, DD243 settings, correct time and date etc)

Fill in site record card and return to day mode

Check signals

Inform customer of any problems, note on docket and get docket signed

Job done!

I've probably left something out, but that's generaly what goes on when I service a system. You need to be methodical, meticulous... Also, be on your toes. The customer may have questions about the system, and you'll look like an idiot if you stand there going "erm... not sure, I'll have to phone the office" etc

Trade Member

Inform customer of any problems, note on docket and get docket signed

Don't you correct any problems at the time?

Surely that's one of the main reasons for the service in the first place.

Someone told me I was ignorant and apathetic, I don't know what that means, nor do I care.

depends on the problem and cause etc.

ie if its a battery or other issue (and their contract cover it) then yes you would replace. But if not we would do the same as AN and note it and report.

Some people have these things done some dont.

Once had a customer who refused to pay for a battery that had failed (5 yrs) unfortunatly we had already fitted it as we assumed it would be authorised (you live and learn) We had to go back and put his old battery back in. Sure enough within a couple of weeks he had a power fail and a confirmed false alarm. What do we know lol

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

depends on the problem and cause etc.

ie if its a battery or other issue (and their contract cover it) then yes you would replace. But if not we would do the same as AN and note it and report.

Some people have these things done some dont.

Once had a customer who refused to pay for a battery that had failed (5 yrs) unfortunatly we had already fitted it as we assumed it would be authorised (you live and learn) We had to go back and put his old battery back in. Sure enough within a couple of weeks he had a power fail and a confirmed false alarm. What do we know lol

That's so funny, I really hope that it was an old BS system that lost its response :lol:

Hey Ho, Lets Go

Well, it doesn't happen often but not always feasable to sort every problem out during the service visit. I don't have all day to service one system, unless it's a big one. Perfect example... last week, I serviced a tyre and exhaust type place and found that the customer had put some tyre storage racks infront of a dual tech. It was blocking a fair bit of the intended area of coverage but would have taken too long to move on the service visit, so the customer authorised it's re-location and it was booked in for a re-visit to move it. Or it may be something like a faulty DT906, something we don't carry with us normally due to the size and expense of the things.

The devil in me can't help but chuckle a little when I hear of a customer who declined a replacement battery on service phoning to ask us to come and replace it because they've had a power cut and the bell is ringing. Or my favourite, the domestic customer who decided not to bother having a new bell fitted after the tamper return voltage was found to be low on the service (obviously explained in layman's terms!). 3 weeks later, bell tamper lol

Trade Member

Archived