Security Installer Community

Vans / Cars And Fuel Economy

james.wilson

We have recently bought a new Van. Peugeot Bippa 1.3 Td

It is supposed to do 60+ mpg. We hoped to achieve late 40's from it with ladders on. We are now trialling mpg average with and without roof racks. Now across a few vans this could be quite a saving per year. Alternativly Im thinking of boxes for the ladders to reduce the drag etc.

Has anyone done anything similar or worried about it. Our fuel bill currently is nearly 3k per month and i reakon we can make savings.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

I looked at a Bippa a few weeks back, still not had chance to do anything about it yet. My concern is fuel economy of the current van (Caddy), and Ive asked the eng to only take ladders when he needs them.

Let me know how you get on with the Bippa fuel results, Im very interested. Also, how much did you pay (pm if you like).

Originally said by Charles Babbage
On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.

Also, there's not much room in the back of a Bippa when you have some folded steps in.

Originally said by Charles Babbage
On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.

My audi does more than that lol

Paid about 11.3 for the bippa. Its the one with the side door, stop start, aircon, bluetooth phone prep etc.

Agreed on the size at the time didnt think ladders were going in it.

Its only doing the same to the gallon as the 1.7Td combo he was driving before. Gonna see if its a heavy foot etc.

The problem with these smaller capacity engines is that they're always on boost, they make no usable power without it. So unless you do a lot of long runs you won't see much benefit

I will add though that at least 50% of the time there's two people in the vehicle and that will make an impact

A lot of companies around here have started using kia estates, I guess the 7 year warranty is very appealing

Hey Ho, Lets Go

yes but the company car tax is a killer for cars. We offer the choice. Everyone wants an estate till they work out the costs.

Id run kias think they are ok. That ceed is a good looking car imo.

the problem at the moment is long runs. We are working a lot in and around london. This has highlighted the issue. If my audi can do late 40's (lates 50's at 55) there has to be something wrong if a 1.3 van does less to the gallon. Ive never had ladders on my car but im thinking of putting em on for a week to see if its really that bad. If it is they need to run without roof racks. Fuel is only going up, something i think we all need to consider.

We have three corsa vans and they all seem to average about the same, We also have a Y reg Astra with the old 1.7 dti engine and that's actually better on fuel

VAG TDI's are awesome diesel engines, not many other manufacturer's can produce the results that they do

Hey Ho, Lets Go

If my audi can do late 40's (lates 50's at 55) there has to be something wrong if a 1.3 van does less to the gallon.

if gentle with van get low 40's on average on the copuetr, 55 mph is mid 30's, 100mph = 16mpg, real world around £106 a tank 700 miles

Mr th2.jpg Veritas God

id agree, block off the egr valves and have them remapped gives more power and economy.

if gentle with van get low 40's on average on the copuetr, 55 mph is mid 30's, 100mph = 16mpg, real world around £106 a tank 700 miles

big van? ie im assuming its not a caddy?

Archived