Security Installer Community

Simon Banks Promoting Dualcom Pstn/gprs Over Ip

james.wilson

http://www.info4security.com/story.asp?sectioncode=15&storycode=4126622&c=1

Seems to be pretty anti ip signalling .... again

i agree with some of what simon thinks, but disagree on others. Ill start a topic in trade for those.

What are members thoughts, is the world sim gonna solve your current issues?

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

http://www.info4security.com/story.asp?sectioncode=15&storycode=4126622&c=1

Seems to be pretty anti ip signalling .... again

i agree with some of what simon thinks, but disagree on others. Ill start a topic in trade for those.

What are members thoughts, is the world sim gonna solve your current issues?

I do agree with him on most parts, although it doesn't mean Dualcom WorldSIM has the answer.

As mentioned before for security you can't beat a Redcare GSM.

Unfortunately price is a big factor on installs now.

The term "dual path" is tagged on to a variety of units, this makes them look on par with each other. We know this is not the case.

I think after testing G3 WorldSim's on a variety of sites most "issues" experienced with standard GPRS units do not occur.

However location, location, location; sometimes only a GSM will do!

be interested in your thoughts wolf.

I didnt go down the emizon route but i do agree that the data line connection is the way forward.

Which one did you plumb for? and why what would you normally use?

I find this comment hilarious;

and I also know of many leading Alarm Receiving Centres that have their IP systems ‘slugged’ to a four-hour response time because of the sheer number of line faults.

That from the GPRS log only kings

i do think its unfair to compare primary path IP to gprs. Also we use cctv to great effect on 'single' path IP only using bog std netgear routers. I was also concerned about that before we started doing it. My own IP link at home uses BT and a supplied router and id bet my IP uptime is better than redcare is.

At my old house I ran the servers for various things, secware, v, other critical websites over a BT adsl link (with 1meg up) for 3 yrs with less than 3 hours downtime (power failure and ups ran flat) over that period with a netgear DG814.

Ip is probably more reliable than PSTN but only the trials will show this

To a degree IP offers multipath once you connect to the network, abd that gets o rhe exchange, such is the robust nature of the Internet.

Red/Care when launched was advertised as being undeafeatable' and seriously cheaper than private wire especially for any distance. once you got to the exchange, it could route several ways through different exchanges overcomming more local issues.

As we found out the service could go down into line fault, which back then was a Policed event. These formed part of the blacklist toting up, some systems got kicked just through the failures.

It is why I view wonderful all conquering new ideas with such a degree of caution, but the serious concern is the ease an innocent person can tamper with anything IP based. Any internet problems the help desk 1st suggest remove any other connected equipment and reboot even reset the router is just one instance.

Don't think i'm totally alone In those reservations, needs a way of removing that possibility to be concidered 'secure' IMHO, and I think for those reasons GPRS and IP are on a par, all things concidered thus far.

Arfur

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Just watched the video, certainly seems as going in the right direction.

Interesting remarks about an interface that allows older digi's to overcome 21CN issues, is that commercially an 'own goal' by doing so, surely reducing potential sales of the main kit?

Not sure if i'm overly comfortable about the 'call back' in line fault idea, think I'd still wake up a keyholder to let them know their signaling is not 100%. You get such a line fault and the site is one of those borderline gsm signal strength area's as you get with redcare/gsm, and a break in at the same time could be nasty, it's their sleep or mine - and I win :).

Arfur

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived