Security Installer Community

Scantronic 9448+ - Beeping!

Guest MDM

We have a Scantronic 9448+ which has been in place for about 6 years - without a hint of trouble, until now :(

The outside alarm box started to beep continuously every 15 seconds. After a few hours of us noticing this, the alarm suddenly kicked off. I have a relative who fitted that alarm and still works with alarms so I called him. He advised I disconnect the mains power and battery connection and wait for about 45 mins and the alarm would stop. And it did.

He came up to look at the alarm the next day and reckoned the problem was down to a blown fuse. He replaced the fuse/s and all was well again... for a couple of hours. The alarm was off and we were in the house when all of a sudden the alarm kicked off again. I called him up again and he suggested I disconnect the power to the battery - within the box - and the alarm stopped immediately. I didn't need to do anything with the mains power as the alarm was in total darkness with no lights showing on the buttons. He assumes the fuse has blown again.

The thing is, he hasn't been in touch again to sort the alarm out. He had suggested the circuit board was knackered and needed replaced, but on reading some postings on this forum I think it may be battery related, or possibly something to do with the outside box?

I'd appreciate any advice you guys could offer to fixing my problem.

We have a Scantronic 9448+ which has been in place for about 6 years - without a hint of trouble, until now :(

The outside alarm box started to beep continuously every 15 seconds. After a few hours of us noticing this, the alarm suddenly kicked off. I have a relative who fitted that alarm and still works with alarms so I called him. He advised I disconnect the mains power and battery connection and wait for about 45 mins and the alarm would stop. And it did.

He came up to look at the alarm the next day and reckoned the problem was down to a blown fuse. He replaced the fuse/s and all was well again... for a couple of hours. The alarm was off and we were in the house when all of a sudden the alarm kicked off again. I called him up again and he suggested I disconnect the power to the battery - within the box - and the alarm stopped immediately. I didn't need to do anything with the mains power as the alarm was in total darkness with no lights showing on the buttons. He assumes the fuse has blown again.

The thing is, he hasn't been in touch again to sort the alarm out. He had suggested the circuit board was knackered and needed replaced, but on reading some postings on this forum I think it may be battery related, or possibly something to do with the outside box?

I'd appreciate any advice you guys could offer to fixing my problem.

Fuses are there to protect the control panel, the fuse doesnt blow because its worn out it blows because there is something wrong like a short on one of your cables or water in the bell box causing a short, replacing the fuse doesnt cure the fault just the symptom and if you dont find the fault the symptom will return. Have you had any work done recently? New carpets ? Whilst on the subject of carpets are the cables run under the carpets?

Fuses

F1 - Battery = 1A Slow Blow

F2 - 12V AUX = 1A Fast Blow

F3 - 21 VAC = 1A Slow Blow

Caution: When replacing fuses use the ratings quoted above.

If you decide to go in to have a look REMOVE THE MAINS SUPPLY to the panel BEFORE opening

Someone told me I was ignorant and apathetic, I don't know what that means, nor do I care.

Batt life is rated 3 - 5 years, dome last much lnger but 6 years in, did the battery get changed on the recent visit?

If not, then change it. If it was replaced then disconnect cables to AUX 12 volts in panel, this will remove any shorts to motion detector cables, replace fuse and restore power.

If all ok, reconnect one 'pair' of cables at a time and wait at least a few hours between, until the fault re occurs, the last pair reconnected is likely got a fault on it.

Arfur

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Assuming honesty about the fuse replacement, many sirens will 'click' before finally dying as the on board batt expires.

Nova 2 did have a known problem, and about the same time this system was fitted, i'd expect it to have shown much earlier.

Issue did not blow fuses afaik, not seen actually it is a Nova 2 mentioned this is the siren in place.

being a scanny panel imho far more likely another make than a GardTec siren, so I'd be loath to change it out on such very scant evidence thus far tbh.

I posted a more scientific approach above for someone not equipped with a meter or the needed skill sets to better be able to diagnose properly by a logical process of illimination.

Arfur

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived