Security Installer Community

Advice On New Install

andyh747

It's been in Ireland for years only recently launched in the UK.

It has rf built in, and all keypads have prox and speech too.

Hkc also have a free sw for end users, remote control etc. Also runs your lighting with manual overide from the keypad or fobs. The lighting can be sensor driven or from back door contacts etc

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Just one point some installers will tell you a loft is not a good place for a panel due to the extreme temperature changes, I dont disagree with them, getting my xmas decs down this year seemed exceptionally cold compared to when I put my suitcases back up there after my hols when it was sweltering, stuff expands and contracts as it gets hot and then cools cant see it being any good for the electronics of an alarm panel.

My router is in my loft, only because its convenient, but I dont use my router to protect my property, and though if it went wrong it would be inconvenient its a £50 bit of kit, easy to change, and I have several in stock at the shop, the alarm is a lot more expensive (and Im trade) harder to change, though I do have several in stock.

Its up to you but I wouldn't

I believe the new scantronic wireless panel has email, but the reason you havent seen this industry move on, regards emails is most manufactures are working on professional monitoring technology making it harder for burglars to sabotage, also emails rely on an SMTP server somewhere, most people rely on their service providers server these can delay the notification, not forgetting how often most phones check servers for emails. A dialer on the other hand normally requires a kiss off (where you have to confirm that you have received the call ) otherwise it keeps calling keyholders much safer than an email that may not reach its destination in time

Just one point some installers will tell you a loft is not a good place for a panel due to the extreme temperature changes,

... but the batteries don't arf last a long time.

Someone told me I was ignorant and apathetic, I don't know what that means, nor do I care.

I would also add additional keypads, nothing worse than having to traipse downstairs to interrogate a panel after an activation on a night. For the cost I would have one @ all ext doors and one by the bed, couple of hundred quid spent now will soon be forgotten about. You then can enter any way you desire.

That's why I wanted a web enabled panel. No need to go to the panel or keypad for interrogation. All could be done via web interface. However it looks like the alarm sector is a bit behind the times on this front! Central control with multiple ways to access the system is what I'm after. I may have to settle for something less sophisticated in the meantime.

I'd still like to hear from others regarding the Galaxy and Texecom systems as well as any other feedback on the HKC panels.

I also need to install door contacts on the patio doors but these will have to be flush mounted into the door frame as the doors open outwards and fitting surface units would look unsightly. Any recommendations on this type of contact for doors? I have the option of installing all doors with flush mounted contacts in the frames but could use surface mounts if these are preferred.

Thanks again for any replies.

Just one point some installers will tell you a loft is not a good place for a panel due to the extreme temperature changes, I dont disagree with them, getting my xmas decs down this year seemed exceptionally cold compared to when I put my suitcases back up there after my hols when it was sweltering, stuff expands and contracts as it gets hot and then cools cant see it being any good for the electronics of an alarm panel.

My router is in my loft, only because its convenient, but I dont use my router to protect my property, and though if it went wrong it would be inconvenient its a £50 bit of kit, easy to change, and I have several in stock at the shop, the alarm is a lot more expensive (and Im trade) harder to change, though I do have several in stock.

Its up to you but I wouldn't

I believe the new scantronic wireless panel has email, but the reason you havent seen this industry move on, regards emails is most manufactures are working on professional monitoring technology making it harder for burglars to sabotage, also emails rely on an SMTP server somewhere, most people rely on their service providers server these can delay the notification, not forgetting how often most phones check servers for emails. A dialer on the other hand normally requires a kiss off (where you have to confirm that you have received the call ) otherwise it keeps calling keyholders much safer than an email that may not reach its destination in time

Perhaps I wasn't clear. The loft is a fully converted room with full underfloor heating! It's part of the habitable space and as I explained houses most of the centralised house architecture (lighting control, network servers, mechanical ventilation system etc). This room was designed into the house from the start so it could be utilised for all this hardware. It even has heat extract to keep things cool in summer!

Internal Speaker location/cabling?

The house has a whole house audio distribution system which is next the alarm panel location. Ceiling speakers in every room. Could this not be utilised for the audio from the security system? You could also set it up for an alarm trigger into the audio system so a specific MP3 plays when the alarm is triggered. That would just require an output from the alarm panel to the alarm in on the audio system.

What like "we wish you a merry christmas" to welcome the would be thief? Lol-seriously though one usually just has a simple speaker close to the entry/exit route just for the panel tones.

LoL yes that's what I was thinking of!

I see what you mean now. This is just for audio feedback from the panel. What size is the speaker generally and could this be installed next to the keypad? The previous system I had the speaker was integrated into the keypad panel. Does this just require another 8 core cable or does it need speaker cable as well? It could be ceiling mounted above the main entrance door.

It's been in Ireland for years only recently launched in the UK.

It has rf built in, and all keypads have prox and speech too.

Hkc also have a free sw for end users, remote control etc. Also runs your lighting with manual overide from the keypad or fobs. The lighting can be sensor driven or from back door contacts etc

Thanks James. Would you be interested in supplying panel, sensors, siren etc? I'm near Gloucester if you'd prefer to actually fit and commission the panel.

LoL yes that's what I was thinking of!

I see what you mean now. This is just for audio feedback from the panel. What size is the speaker generally and could this be installed next to the keypad? The previous system I had the speaker was integrated into the keypad panel. Does this just require another 8 core cable or does it need speaker cable as well? It could be ceiling mounted above the main entrance door.

Yes you would want to fit the speaker above, but you may be using the keypad as the driver or the panel etc. Depends on the kit.

Thanks James. Would you be interested in supplying panel, sensors, siren etc? I'm near Gloucester if you'd prefer to actually fit and commission the panel.

We would install the system on your cabling etc and we do cover gloucester but we wouldnt be able to give you full access to the panel, ie from a liability point of view while its under contract we need to maintain control. I dont think this is what you want?

There are only 2 places to buy HKC in the uk. One is enterprise, the other is securitywarehouse

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Archived