Security Installer Community

Advice On New Install

andyh747

Thanks for the replies.

I've been careful with the cable runs and kept them away from any mains cables as much as physically possible. I've been running a lot of CAT5 runs so am aware of the importance of segregating cable runs.

I would have hoped advising on a system in one thread would be enough! I would have thought the panel is the important element rather than detector selection. However I appreciate detectors do vary in quality and functionality. My main concern at present is getting the first fix correct.

I'm located near Gloucester if anyone is close by and wishes to carry out a site visit or contact me privately. Thanks for all the replies so far.

Use the same thread to discuss the components if you wish.

It can be such a pain trying to cross reference sometimes when its busy here.

As you rightly say, first fix is an important part of the overall.

Detector selection is very important, but id agree that a panel is probably the single most critical part.

So at the moment your first fixing, then just ensure you have cables to every component. Id run a cable for the telephone and put an ethernet cable in as well.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

1. I'm looking at 9 activation points at present with 3 door contacts and the rest on PIRs

just ensure you have enough circuits, ideally you want 1 device per circuit

2. One arming/disarming keypad by the main entrance door.

all panels will offer this

3. Alarm notification either via email or phone call. I'm not looking for or wanting a professionally monitored system.

email reporting direct from the panel, i dont know a panel that does this yet. You can do it via 3rd party monitoring etc

4. One external siren.

ensure you dont overload your panel power supply

5. Ability to have keyfobs for arming/disarming.

keyfobs as is wireless units (ie powered) or proximity tags that are presented to a keypad?

6. Inputs on the alarm panel for other centrally controlled devices within the house e.g. remote operated mains water valve with alarm output.

your going to need a decent panel for this, again ensure you have enough inputs and outputs.

7. Outputs on the alarm panel for connection to other systems e.g. centralised lighting system

How are you planning on operating these?

8. LAN connection point for local and remote control.

thats fine but you need to think about how you are going to interface with it, ie what do you plan to use it for.

Can't think of anything else at present but have probably missed something!

Any advice on suitable systems much appreciated.

1. I'm looking at 9 activation points at present with 3 door contacts and the rest on PIRs

just ensure you have enough circuits, ideally you want 1 device per circuit

2. One arming/disarming keypad by the main entrance door.

all panels will offer this

3. Alarm notification either via email or phone call. I'm not looking for or wanting a professionally monitored system.

email reporting direct from the panel, i dont know a panel that does this yet. You can do it via 3rd party monitoring etc

4. One external siren.

ensure you dont overload your panel power supply

5. Ability to have keyfobs for arming/disarming.

keyfobs as is wireless units (ie powered) or proximity tags that are presented to a keypad?

6. Inputs on the alarm panel for other centrally controlled devices within the house e.g. remote operated mains water valve with alarm output.

your going to need a decent panel for this, again ensure you have enough inputs and outputs.

7. Outputs on the alarm panel for connection to other systems e.g. centralised lighting system

How are you planning on operating these?

8. LAN connection point for local and remote control.

thats fine but you need to think about how you are going to interface with it, ie what do you plan to use it for.

Can't think of anything else at present but have probably missed something!

Any advice on suitable systems much appreciated.

Thanks for the replies, keep them coming. In answer to the above:

1. What I've done so far is run one 8 core cable from each sensor/door contact location back to the loft were the panel will be.

2. I've run an 8 core cable from the location by the door where I want the keypad - do I need anything else at this location wiring wise?

3. Interesting comment about not having this direct from the panel yet. I have an integrated heating system which allows an alarm input which can then send an email. The last system I had could phone a preset number and advise of an alarm condition. I had hoped things had moved on to allow other notification methods direct from the panel.

4. What's the best method for wiring the external siren? I haven't wired for this yet. My intention was to run another 8 core cable from the external location directly back to the panel. I had hoped a decent alarm panel would support 9 sensors and an external siren without overload. What other options for powering the siren are there?

5. Ideally RF keyfobs would be preferred as I had these on a previous property and they worked very well. Handy for the wife as she doesn't have to punch in a code every time! Also means you can disarm from the drive before lifting all the shopping in hands full! However if the experts don't like these or they're not available for wired panels then a rethink will be required.

6. Again these extra functions might be best handled by other systems if the panels can't send emails direct.

7. The plan would be to feed an alarm output to the lighting system via volt free contacts on an input/output module on the centralised lighting system. Activation of the contacts would then switch on any/all lights according to the programming within the lighting system. The lighting system controls all internal and external lighting so a multitude of options are open to the end user.

8. The LAN connection would be to allow control of the system and programming via a web interface. The idea is that the system would have it's own web control interface allowing configuration remotely from the panel. I'm not sure if this type of system is available yet? Most of the systems I am installing have individual LAN connections with their own control/configuration web interface. I will then have a web page set up with links to each system so all systems can be accessed from a single web page. It's not the most integrated solution but is cost effective and allows centralised control without busting the budget!

The panel will be located in the loft room. This room has been set aside for all of the centralised equipment. The phone line terminates here along with the network panel so both phone line connection and LAN connection are right beside the panel location. All 8 core cables will terminate here and I've labelled all of them individually with their respective sensor location.

Keep the suggestions coming.

1 thats good

2 no, a data line should be fine

3 alarm notifications do not suit email, however with push email imo this has changed. I'd like to be able to send email, and use my keypad for notifications... but alas this isn't the case. 3rd party comm units can send emails additional to their primary signalling.

4 that will be fine. On larger systems then you need additional power supplies. You may even need expanders so if you use powered expanders then that will give you all the current you need.

5 no rf are fine you just need either an additional reciever or a panel with built in rf.

6 I do not know of a panel that does this yet, I know the panel we use will be doing it soon as a firmware update will add this.

7 thats fine

8 again ain't any powerful panels with a built in webserver. There are mods for half and premium but not official ones. Again the panel we use will have this.

I would also add additional keypads, nothing worse than having to traipse downstairs to interrogate a panel after an activation on a night. For the cost I would have one @ all ext doors and one by the bed, couple of hundred quid spent now will soon be forgotten about. You then can enter any way you desire.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

I hadn't heard of HKC before but looking on the website, the system looks quite comprehensive. Do any of the HKC panels have RF capability for the keyfobs?

Are these panels easy to get hold of or are they only supplied to registered installers?

Anyone else have experience of using these panels?

Archived