Security Installer Community

Advice On New Install

andyh747

Hi All,

Hope this is the correct place to post and ask advice.

I'm in the process of a new build house and am at first fix wiring stage which I'm carrying out myself. I want some advice on a recommended security system for the house. I am looking for a centralised system with internet access for remote monitoring/control. I have already run 8 core alarm cable to most of the rooms on the ground floor and am about to start on the first floor. The panel will be mounted in the loft where I have brought all 8 core runs back to. In summary I am looking for advice on which manufacturer and product would be most suitable. I have summarised below the elements I'm looking for:

1. I'm looking at 9 activation points at present with 3 door contacts and the rest on PIRs.

2. One arming/disarming keypad by the main entrance door.

3. Alarm notification either via email or phone call. I'm not looking for or wanting a professionally monitored system.

4. One external siren.

5. Ability to have keyfobs for arming/disarming.

6. Inputs on the alarm panel for other centrally controlled devices within the house e.g. remote operated mains water valve with alarm output.

7. Outputs on the alarm panel for connection to other systems e.g. centralised lighting system

8. LAN connection point for local and remote control.

Can't think of anything else at present but have probably missed something!

Any advice on suitable systems much appreciated.

Well the one I would say use you`ll get practically no support from the manufacturers, Galaxy BTW.

So in light of that try Texecom, i`m sure one of the "Tex" experts will be alomg and confirm this can all be done by the kit.

Well the one I would say use you`ll get practically no support from the manufacturers, Galaxy BTW.

So in light of that try Texecom, i`m sure one of the "Tex" experts will be alomg and confirm this can all be done by the kit.

Thanks for that. Galaxy is made by Honeywell isn't it? I have looked at that and did ring Honeywell for advice.... you can guess the response I got!

Look forward to hearing about the Texecom systems.

Yes I'd be happy to do that. Two potential issues or concerns! I would assume to ensure correct wiring that I'd need to know the exact alarm and model beforehand. Also finding a reliable installer can be a headache which is what I've found with the other systems I've installed. So far I've done 90% of the internal work myself. I wouldn't be put off installing the system myself, it would be getting hold of the official installation manuals etc.

Yes I'd be happy to do that. Two potential issues or concerns! I would assume to ensure correct wiring that I'd need to know the exact alarm and model beforehand. Also finding a reliable installer can be a headache which is what I've found with the other systems I've installed. So far I've done 90% of the internal work myself. I wouldn't be put off installing the system myself, it would be getting hold of the official installation manuals etc.

where abouts are you?

If you run 8 core and keep it away from mains cable you will be fine.

Hi Andy

Nearly 95% of panels wire the same Galaxy and Texecom panels can be programmed to use each others end of line resistors, so by wiring the system conventionally you wont have a problem. Personally I would get some local companies round for a chat, or even just chat with them over the phone. We for instance would let you first fix but we would be very stringent on how you first fix i.e. where the cables are run how far away from mains cables etc etc running cables in the wrong places can cause all sorts of problems.

If you want to install the system yourself then thats also fine, Texecom Premier or Honeywell Galaxy panels tick all your box's but I think you will struggle to find one available for DIY retail

My advice would be to break the system down into individual posts. Is create a thread about which is the best control panel for me and list your criteria then do another for the detectors etc. Trying to do it all in one post / thread is difficult as there is too much to discuss.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Archived