Security Installer Community

Why Settle For Anything Less Than Hdtv?

james.wilson

As home electronic consumers, many of us choose HDTV for our new TV or home theater system. Why then, should we be satisfied with anything less in our profession? HDTV has quickly become the standard for digital video format, which is not a surprise since the benefits are many.

http://www.axis.com/products/video/camera/megapixel/benefits.htm

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Because the cost of HD CCTV kit is still very expensive for most applications. We use Avigilon for high end work but it's not vey often we get a client who needs (rather than wants) that kind of quality. I wish I could spec this kit for everything but until the price comes down then it's just not an option.

We currently use a hybrid between low def std cctv and megapixel. I dont think we have a single system that is all high def. That will come in time but hybrids are the way forward IMO for now. Its often you have some views that require high def, but there will always be a demand for low cost, low quality general survielance etc.

Because the cost of HD CCTV kit is still very expensive for most applications. We use Avigilon for high end work but it's not vey often we get a client who needs (rather than wants) that kind of quality. I wish I could spec this kit for everything but until the price comes down then it's just not an option.

Price has moved down, I remember when the silent witness vr mono dome were £350ea yet I was installing 20 a go with a vcr mux and monitor, the cost equivalent to four times what you'd pay now for a much better colour dvr system. Its not that the good stuff is too expensive, its more that the customer is not wanting to spend the same budgets they used too.

Price has moved down, I remember when the silent witness vr mono dome were £350ea yet I was installing 20 a go with a vcr mux and monitor, the cost equivalent to four times what you'd pay now for a much better colour dvr system. Its not that the good stuff is too expensive, its more that the customer is not wanting to spend the same budgets they used too.

or maybe customers see prices of kit online these days & guess (wrongly?) at our markup.

Id agree with that to a point but its not just online. Had to quote a takeover for a system purchased from makro. Unbelievably poor kit but guy thought it was the same stuff we would use etc

Yep, that too.

On intruder install while back customer asked if we could supply monitor only as he'd got staff to fit cctv. Our price to supply only (no mark up) was dearer than the cost of the dvr/2cams/cables kit he got from maplin.

funnily enough, just given him quote for system at his house. reckon maybe second thoughts on playback of kit at his work..

That said I had a foriegn sounding gentleman on my freephone this afternoon, it sounded like I had been the hundredth person he had phoned "for their best price" asking about fire alarms, after a short conversation it turns out he had purchased his system and was looking for someone to fit it and certificate it, I told him I wasn't interested. Its in some cultures to get the cheapest possible price regardless of the end result

Archived