Security Installer Community

Cctv & Audio Over 800 Metres

Rosko

Love the Cow !! -- What we have is a couple of cameras linked to a DVR and Monitor in his Barn it's got a broadband Internet link which he can access at his house 800 metres away, - - his son watches it several miles away and his daughter can watch it in Australia ! The problem is that the update is not fast enough so the picture whilst fairly good for most purposes is not as perfect as the old TV system he's had for years. I want to give him the very best picture that we can hence my thought on trying Cat5 and Actives.

you can do ip over 800m but it will be a dear exercise. either fibre (very dear) or extended ethernet.

Id still go for the active reciever balun idea

I know it can be done, but as you say, Cost!.

Also, i would imagine tha trying to achieve across a farm will be no easy exercise.

Although academic now.

We installed a four camera system in a 'hanger' where the customer breeds Bengal cats.

The four cameras also had audio. this went into a DVR and speakers also in the hanger.

The customer decided they wanted to view the video and hear all 4 audio chanels at the house,

that was also about 800 yards away from the hanger. There was no broadband at the hanger.

To achieve the customer's request I used high quality low loss coax cable to carry the video

signal to the house and it was a good clear picture when viewd at the house end.

If it was a **** signal at the house I would of added a video booster at the DVR end.

The main problem was the audio. The DVR only had one audio channel but the customer wanted all

4 video chanels to have sound.

The way I got around the problem was to build 4 12 volt 2 Watt audio amplifiers and send

each amplified audio signal down one cat5 cable.

As it is amplified the cable does not have to be screend.

Also, as the audio signal was amplified before it was sent down the cat5 there was no problem of picking

up interferance or induced mains humm from any nearby cables.

If there was any interferance picked up in the audio cabe run, as the audio signal was amplified

this would be a higher voltage than the induced AC signal.

At the house end the 4 pairs of cat5 carrying the audio signal were fed into a 4 chanel audio mixer

that had 4 independant volume controls and one master volume control.

The single audio output from the mixer was 1volt p-p so this was fed directly into customers Tv audio input.

each chanel had it's own volume control so the customer could view the 4 cameras on their tv and listen

to any number of the 4 audio chanels using the mixers individual volume controls.

There was no need to amplify the video signal at the DVR end and no need to reduce the amplified audio

signal at the house end.

Although being a qualified but ex electronics engineer came in usefull. This job could of been done by anyone.

I used audio and video signal generators at hanger end and an oscilloscope at house end to 'see' what induced

ac was being picked up. This test was not really needed as eyes and ears could do the same job.

The audio amplifiers i designed and built myself but any 'off the shelf' kits or pre built modules will do.

I agree, a little unorthodox but a simple solution to a difficult problem (I think!)

Hope this helps.

Ian.

Archived