Security Installer Community

Dvr's Without Or Without Drives

8 members have voted

1. 1. Hard drives should be?

• Supplied and specced by the installer
    • Supplied and installed by the manufacturer

Cheaper to buy your own drives.

Dependent on kit, buy unit with smallest hard Drive then just add the extra capacity yourself.

Ahh, now i see where James is coming from.

There's me thinking (reading other thread) it was AG who's the cheapskate

Try pricing a 1tb drive from Norbain. Then check the same drive price at dabs.com.

You are looking at big price difference. We have upgraded loads of Hdd's in old Jpeg machines. I have also ordered xeno dvrs with no hdd's fitted.

Thats basicaly what im getting at. Do most have the skills / want to fit your own drive. There are many reasons for and against.

For

Cost

can choose brand and warranty of drive etc

can use enterprise or consumer drives

easy then to change when they fail.

ALso the HD and the PSU are the 2 most likly things to fail.

Allows service replacement onsite

Cons,

warranty issues ie you have to diagnose the drive issue yourself, can be a skills issue at some places

Incompatibilty, not all drives are equal etc

We have always thought (well i have lol) that its better to have the drive supplied and fitted. But now im not so sure, for instance i hate with a passion maxtor drives. Wouldnt use em in anything. Bit seagate ES.2 Fan however. So id use them

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Thats basicaly what im getting at. Do most have the skills / want to fit your own drive. There are many reasons for and against.

For

Cost

Cons,

warranty issues ie you have to diagnose the drive issue yourself, can be a skills issue at some places

We have always thought (well i have lol) that its better to have the drive supplied and fitted. But now im not so sure, for instance i hate with a passion maxtor drives. Wouldnt use em in anything. Bit seagate ES.2 Fan however. So id use them

System Q Ltd.

For

Cost

Cons,

I agree with James in the fact the HD is the weakest element in a DVR. It's a mechanical part that still fails because of the fact mechanical items wear out!

In 3 years time I would be surprised if solid state drives were not an affordable option for DVRs.

Paul.

System Q Ltd.

I agree with James in the fact the HD is the weakest element in a DVR. It's a mechanical part that still fails because of the fact mechanical items wear out!

In 3 years time I would be surprised if solid state drives were not an affordable option for DVRs.

Paul.

i think apart from cost these have their own issues to, seem to remember reading they are not all they were cracked up to be, but can't recall why

is it not thre case most will buy drives on price, then they get domestic product not industrial server grade drives.

with drives bought OEM, has anyone ever tried to get it replaced under the makers warranty?

i have so i wish you the very best of luck, but by form the DVR supplier installed and save the hassle imo.

suggest do the maths, if you/i have intermittent issues on say 5% of installs, the time spent diagnosing and ther returning and then reinstalling - why bother?

Arfur

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

paul

id be supried if ssd were mainstream. because of their cost and wear out rate. if we had an affordable ssd at say 1TB then for the same money we will have 10TB mechanical. storage demands will masivly increase as higher res formats become more popular IMHO

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

paul

id be supried if ssd were mainstream. because of their cost and wear out rate. if we had an affordable ssd at say 1TB then for the same money we will have 10TB mechanical. storage demands will masivly increase as higher res formats become more popular IMHO

Hi James.

When I wrote the reply I had a debate in my own head that if SSD's became more main stream would the HDD's simply fight back with more capacity for the same money? Sure they would just like CRT manufactures fought back with lower prices when people started to by Flat screens. Not many people still buying CRTs still even when the picture quality and value for money is better than LCDs.

Don't get me wrong though, I placed my bet on 3 years down the road before we may see the competition between SSD and HDDs, agreed it could be longer say 5 years but I really think it will come and sooner than we all think.

There will be a “tipping point” with SSD that give huge advances in storage capacity, cost and reliability and when this “tipping point” occurs huge resources will be put in to producing them and they will become mainstream rapidly.

The big driving force for this technology IMO will be what many people have in their pocket today, the mobile phone. The next generation of phones will be mobile video entertainment units with a big emphasis on TV and video straight to a phone causing low cost, low power and high capacity solid state devices to undergo further manufacturing and developing booms because not only will people want to watch the video on their phones they will want to store it and record it.

Paul.

System Q Ltd.

Archived