Security Installer Community

Dvr's Without Or Without Drives

8 members have voted

1. 1. Hard drives should be?

• Supplied and specced by the installer
    • Supplied and installed by the manufacturer

In less than 5 years your DVRS will have flash memory!

Great!

Going back to Jaime's original point of view, I just asked one of my Tech guys how long it takes them to do a full diagnostic test on a 1TB drive if its returned to us as potentially faulty and it takes a whopping 4hrs!

Not quite sure of the relevance of this or why an installer would need to do a full surface scan on a HDD on site. Surely the priority would be to get the DVR back-up and running, HDD diagnostics can be done later and failures such as dead hdd's take a few seconds to identify, etc.

I would completely understand if an installer did not want to mess with the HDDs especially during warranty period. A question was asked, supplied or not supplied and from the answers there seemed to be advantages and disadvantages to both. Simply asking if there could be any way of having the advantages of both.

I would completely understand if an installer did not want to mess with the HDDs especially during warranty period. A question was asked, supplied or not supplied and from the answers there seemed to be advantages and disadvantages to both. Simply asking if there could be any way of having the advantages of both.

A good compromise is buying the DVR with a HDD fitted, but having the ability to swap out/add has necessary/required. Like you say, if the drive can be swapped out, the installer would know quickly where the problem lies. Far more efficient.

Surely the priority would be to get the DVR back-up and running,

Agreed, by & large we'd of got customer to do re-boot etc before attending if no joy, then spare dvr taken to site. allowing 30mins (max unless want to be late next appt) to swap out. maybe different if firms only do cctv.

apart from cost, can see few tbo.

A good compromise is buying the DVR with a HDD fitted, but having the ability to swap out/add has necessary/required. Like you say, if the drive can be swapped out, the installer would know quickly where the problem lies. Far more efficient.

caddies? yer, maybe. I dont like kit that could be changed to non std at a drop of a had. industry std for caddy?

add drives, yep there's the rub. esp if dvr still under warranty.

caddies? yer, maybe. I dont like kit that could be changed to non std at a drop of a had. industry std for caddy?

add drives, yep there's the rub. esp if dvr still under warranty.

i think another factor is about the units cost, a spare dm for instance is not cheap as a emergencyback u but it would cover most such calls, but a cheapy would usually suffice and mre can be stocked.

depends which area of the market you tend to be in as much as anything imo, and some units are deign by lucifer regarding replacing/adding new drives.

used one kit with caddies, bleeding caddy fans blew up several times :rolleyes:

Arfur

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

i think another factor is about the units cost, a spare dm for instance is not cheap as a emergencyback u but it would cover most such calls, but a cheapy would usually suffice and mre can be stocked.

depends which area of the market you tend to be in as much as anything imo, and some units are deign by lucifer regarding replacing/adding new drives.

used one kit with caddies, bleeding caddy fans blew up several times :rolleyes:

Arfur

Dont carry spare DM, but got a number of repaired out cheapy's. Most customers happy to get something up and running on the day of call, and understand if we got to take their machine away for off site repairs.

When you compare to what service some get from IT! half are gobsmacked we turn up when we say etc...

Of course depends on the market your in, can only speak as find.

Archived