Security Installer Community

What On Earth Is This In My Bell Box?

pinter75

Howdy,

When I moved into my new house I found a Scantronic 9100 system that has been pro-installed. It has 6 PIRs, 2 panic and 2 door contacts plus remote keypad. Now I know this was installed when Noah boarded the ark, but I kinda like it's old school bullet proofness.

So I have spend the weekend debugging and re-activating it (the previous owners must have disabled it agaes ago, the PIRs were covered in paint and the bell PA circuit was cut). So far I have installed a new backup battery, replaced some busted door contacts, reconditioned the Racal Apollo S PIRs and all is good....

But, I still have 2 bugs.

I can't figure out what this is in the bell box. It has VIPER stamped on it and looks like it has 2 IR leds and 2 detectors? It is giving me grief on channel 8 and reading 13.8volts, and triggering the alarm ch8 when arming the system so is probably broken.

what.jpg

Can I disable it (I have simple put a link across the terminals on the 8th channel and that has solved the ch8 triggering the alarm).

Also, I found a push button on the side of the external keypad. After a bit of debugging, it cuts power to the smoke alarm when pushed. It looks like you have to hold the button in while arming the system. For whatever reason the smoke detector will trip the alarm and produce an ALARM fault when arming if you don't press the switch. Is there an easy way to circumvent the push button?

I do have the enginerr manual, so have access to all the fault codes and the NVM chip removal procedure (I have put it in a DIP holder as it has been in and out more times than a ...)

cheers.

vfoam

viper foam detector

button on keypad will be drop power to the smoke as it will be a latching detector. This will be to reset it. If its activating every unset period its faulty. Unless you smoke like a chimney!

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Howdy,

When I moved into my new house I found a Scantronic 9100 system that has been pro-installed. It has 6 PIRs, 2 panic and 2 door contacts plus remote keypad. Now I know this was installed when Noah boarded the ark, but I kinda like it's old school bullet proofness.

So I have spend the weekend debugging and re-activating it (the previous owners must have disabled it agaes ago, the PIRs were covered in paint and the bell PA circuit was cut). So far I have installed a new backup battery, replaced some busted door contacts, reconditioned the Racal Apollo S PIRs and all is good....

But, I still have 2 bugs.

I can't figure out what this is in the bell box. It has VIPER stamped on it and looks like it has 2 IR leds and 2 detectors? It is giving me grief on channel 8 and reading 13.8volts, and triggering the alarm ch8 when arming the system so is probably broken.

what.jpg

Can I disable it (I have simple put a link across the terminals on the 8th channel and that has solved the ch8 triggering the alarm).

Also, I found a push button on the side of the external keypad. After a bit of debugging, it cuts power to the smoke alarm when pushed. It looks like you have to hold the button in while arming the system. For whatever reason the smoke detector will trip the alarm and produce an ALARM fault when arming if you don't press the switch. Is there an easy way to circumvent the push button?

I do have the enginerr manual, so have access to all the fault codes and the NVM chip removal procedure (I have put it in a DIP holder as it has been in and out more times than a ...)

cheers.

Looks like you have a shock sensor in your bell box and yes you can get rid of it.....

Lee Sutton

E-Mail: leesutton@centurianfire.co.uk

Phone: 0845 094 9870

CENTURIAN FIRE & SECURITY (part of centurian group limited)

It's a foam detector

Aw ... Johnny beat me to it.

Haven't seen one for years. I think they were made by the Viper manufacturers

PM me for access to the SSAIB members discussion area.

Whoa! quick repsonses :-)

Enlighten me, What on earth is a Foam detector (excusing the obvious)?

And yup is is a Viper unit, it has the green power light on, but at the control panel it is reading 13.8v so is probably shorting. When I finally ground off the rusted bolt, the amount of dead things and rust inside makes me think it is shot!

vfoam

viper foam detector

button on keypad will be drop power to the smoke as it will be a latching detector. This will be to reset it. If its activating every unset period its faulty. Unless you smoke like a chimney!

Detects expanding foam being introduced into the box to deaden the sound.

Thanks thought so. I'll pull it out and see why it may be shorting.

As for the push button on the control panel to drop power from the smoke alarm, is there a more elegant transparent way of doing this, or is a new detector needed.

cheers!

How many call outs have i had years ago off these things when to many Webbs are made over the beams.

Not seen or fitted a Vfoam in a C type bell box in about 15 years.

Archived