Security Installer Community

Intruder Alarm Sounding When Mains Turned On Again

Hi, just a quickie. Have an old DCS? intruder alarm installed about 10 years ago by B Gas. No longer monitored via phone line or have contract with B Gas for maintenance etc..

Seems to be wired into downstairs lighting on main fuse box. Bulb went in kitchen, flipped trip back on and immediately intruder alarm starts sounding.

Had a quick look at sounder, no batteries in it at all!

No idea what I'm doing here, would fitting batteries stop the thing going off or can I just disconnect wires from the thing?

Any ideas welcome.

Suspect this may cost in the end, got heaps of overtime at xmas so knew I was due unexpected expense.

Alarm.jpg

Panel.jpg

Hi, just a quickie. Have an old DCS? intruder alarm installed about 10 years ago by B Gas. No longer monitored via phone line or have contract with B Gas for maintenance etc..

Seems to be wired into downstairs lighting on main fuse box. Bulb went in kitchen, flipped trip back on and immediately intruder alarm starts sounding.

No idea what I'm doing here, would fitting batteries stop the thing going off or can I just disconnect wires from the thing?

Any ideas welcome.

Suspect this may cost in the end, got heaps of overtime at xmas so knew I was due unexpected expense.

Alarm.jpg

Panel.jpg

OK, if no body else is going to say it I will, that is not an alarm sounder, it is your door bell (you know, Avon calling). It hasn't got batteries in it because it is running from a bell transformer which is possibly sited adjacent to your fuse box.

Now that's out of the way the reason your alarm is activating when mains is restored is probably because the battery in the alarm panel has expired, you need to look for the alarm panel (your second picture is only a keypad). The main panel may be sited in an airing cupboard, a wardrobe, near the fusebox or in the attic.

I can't describe it very well because I have never worked on DSC stuff but it will be somewhere.

If I were you I would ring around a few local companies and get one of them to give the system a service.

Just out of interest do you put dirty dishes in your washing machine? lol

You need to get the system serviced as it sounds like the battery is knackered, this day n age you need your system working. Have a look on the forum and look for a local company, they will help you out.

lee

Lee Sutton

E-Mail: leesutton@centurianfire.co.uk

Phone: 0845 094 9870

CENTURIAN FIRE & SECURITY (part of centurian group limited)

Thats not fair, i'd call that moving the goalposts.

Surely nobody could be that dim.

LOL!!!!

I can assure you all that the picture I refferred to in my first post was a door chime, I may have been out of the alarm indstry for a couple of years but I'm not that rusty!

The picture was a bit blurry but it was a door chime designed to be either battery operated or fed via a transformer (as this one was), you could even see the figure of 8 bell wire!

Thought I was going bloody mad!

Any ideas welcome.

Alarm.jpg

Not knowing the type of sounder you are now correctly showing (by the way, I've got a door bell like the one shown this morning) I would suggest that the green thing, held with two cable ties, below the black sounder is a battery.

Someone told me I was ignorant and apathetic, I don't know what that means, nor do I care.

Archived