Security Installer Community

First Alarm Install

wozz

hello im new here,

Im a electrician and have wired a few alarms in the past, never designed, specified or commisioned an alarm just run in the cables.

I have been asked to install a alarm system for one of my regular customers in a small bungalow, so i thought i would do it all myself this time. He only wants a basic system, i was recommended to use the texecom R8 panel, and dual technology PIRs which i have priced to use.

Does this sound reasonable to use, a door contact on the front door(no PIR due to false alarms caused by post), PIR protecting the kitchen and back door, PIR protecting the french doors, these are the only entrances/ exits to the property, this will leave the bathroom, front room and back bed with no PIRs these rooms have double glazed windows and no doors.

Is this acceptable? any advice would be much appreciated, many thanks in advance

You can't certify the job which could have a serious impact on the customers insurance ... and there could be other come-backs and complications.

Why not look for a tie up with an approved alarm Co. in your area. You get a nice fee for introduction and no headaches.

PM me for access to the SSAIB members discussion area.

i explained this to the customer and it is clearly stated in the quotation that i am not a member of a approved organisation when it comes to alarms. He didnt care about the insureance situation just wanted a basic alarm system.

I would like to give it a go myself as i feel in future this could be a good industry to move into.

As i am not NSI or similar registered can i still install the alarm, as i have mentioned or is it a bad design?

My honest opinion (reading your first post) is that you haven't got enough knowledge to design and install the alarm correctly, and so it would be unfair to take the customers money .... and it could come back to bite you.

..... but that is only my advise. You must do as you see fit.

PM me for access to the SSAIB members discussion area.

its very difficult for us to say without actually seeing the place. As with your trade im sure you see plenty of installations that people did with the best intnentions.

Generally speaking then what you say sounds ok. But it is limted info

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Generally speaking then what you say sounds ok.

Half the rooms have no protection!

I would be thinking at least contact on the front door, vipers on all windows and a couple of PIRs (lounge/hall) as a back up.

Trade Member

I have done very few installs where every room has protection-let alone vipers on all windows-cost against risk analysis would be prohibitive-the intruder would normally move around!-The OP has already stated a front door contact as well :whistle: .

May I suggest the OP gets a german shephard just to be sure as well ............................!!

No intruder system is 100% guaranteed to stop an unwanted visitor-it's the deterrent thing surely!-target a property with no protection as opposed to one that has something (the intruder doesn't know what rooms etc are protected)

I have done very few installs where every room has protection-let alone vipers on all windows-cost against risk analysis would be prohibitive-the intruder would normally move around!-The OP has already stated a front door contact as well :whistle: .

May I suggest the OP gets a german shephard just to be sure as well ............................!!

No intruder system is 100% guaranteed to stop an unwanted visitor-it's the deterrent thing surely!-target a property with no protection as opposed to one that has something (the intruder doesn't know what rooms etc are protected)

Every bungalow i have ever insalled an alarm at has shocks on all windows/doors[barr the front door], and atleast one PIR, got one on monday with just that spec.

The main issue is the bedrooms would not be covered at night if you didn't use shocks. They are also very easy to sell ;)

We have one 3 bed bungalow with 16 wireless shocks, one wired shock and one wired PIR, just how it should be.

Archived