Security Installer Community

Electricity Consumption Of Burglar Alarms

portlandstone

it could be 70w i suppose if its very old and not very efficient.

Those meters arnt very accurate though.

Best way is to meter (with a calibrated meter) the current draw on the ac input side.

id say a modern panel should draw around 10-20w

but if its running warm, has old high current use components and an inefficient transformer etc then yes its possible. But id still say its too high (ie the reading)

Well with a bit of Googling I found some technical data. The system is a Menvier TS900 and according to

http://www.tycoemea.com/english/pdf/datash...er/datashts.pdf

which may or may not be right, here are the consumption figures

Current consumption

Panel 110 mA (normal) 190 mA (alarm)

LCD keypad 40 mA (normal) 50 mA (alarm)

On normal (standby), it all adds up to 150mA (110+40), which at 240V is 36Watts.

But when alarmed it adds up to 240mA (190+50), which at 240V is 58Watts.

If it's armed for 16hrs a day (ie put on at night as well as when go to work), that's an average of 50Watts, which is still

Well with a bit of Googling I found some technical data. The system is a Menvier TS900 and according to

http://www.tycoemea.com/english/pdf/datash...er/datashts.pdf

which may or may not be right, here are the consumption figures

Current consumption

Panel 110 mA (normal) 190 mA (alarm)

LCD keypad 40 mA (normal) 50 mA (alarm)

On normal (standby), it all adds up to 150mA (110+40), which at 240V is 36Watts.

But when alarmed it adds up to 240mA (190+50), which at 240V is 58Watts.

If it's armed for 16hrs a day (ie put on at night as well as when go to work), that's an average of 50Watts, which is still

Just measured the mains current consumption of my Galaxy at just 0.05ma. Which equates to a consumption of about 12 watts.

Actual battery standy is 360ma at 13.2vdc.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

Thing is, there is no way to switch off an alarm at the socket (unlike a TV) for the average punter, they are forced to leave it on standby costing them money.

As opposed to how much it costs when the house gets turned over and insurance won't pay up because someone wanted to save a few quid on running costs?? :whistle:

Its a valid point though.

I bet we get asked a few times now what it draws.

i still think that 70w is way over for a domestic.

I agree - on the basis of energy efficiency of devices.

The worry would be if people switch a system off because it may save a couple of quid but compromises the purposes of having a system.

The TV/LCD example is a good case in point. Many draw upwards of 35watts on standby. Only now are a few manufacturers looking at the fuel cost implications. some have standby down to 3 watts now. How many of us genuinely, hand on heart, bother turning off the numerous devices we have around the house when we finish using them??

I agree - on the basis of energy efficiency of devices.

The worry would be if people switch a system off because it may save a couple of quid but compromises the purposes of having a system.

The TV/LCD example is a good case in point. Many draw upwards of 35watts on standby. Only now are a few manufacturers looking at the fuel cost implications. some have standby down to 3 watts now. How many of us genuinely, hand on heart, bother turning off the numerous devices we have around the house when we finish using them??

B&Q for even more low energy bulbs tonight!

When you consider the cost of them is now down to

System Q Ltd.

Wireless systems have far lower control panel consumption.... but then there are all those batteries in the sensors. swings and roundabouts.

Ill meter my galaxy later.

Not so sure. I-on got 7AH batt & psu to match.

I'll meter in the morning.

Archived