Security Installer Community

Networking Issue

jackbuchan

I currently have an adsl router and there is not enough ethernet ports on the back we need to add more computers on to this what should you use to connect the other pcs to the router ?

A hub , switch or another router?

bearing in mind that more that 1 pc will b e used at the one time!

Kind Regards,

Jack Buchan

JDB Solutions

Web: www.jdbsolutions.co.uk

E-Mail: jack@jdbsolutions.co.uk

A hub, plug one of the hubs ports into one of your routers ports

ps. a hub and a switch are the same thing.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Actually, they're not, but in this simple scenario it won't make any difference.

Most devices sold these days will be switches anyway, even the cheapest 4 or 5-port devices.

In general you'll probably only find a hub in older kit.

Just plug and play.

Switches transfer data quicker than hubs as the traffic is directed rather than just on all ports

agreed, hubs are a bit old these days, are they still used?

Most swithes now auto uplink so you wont need a crossover between them, but as said just connect a swicth to your router. But might be an idea to connect all your machines on the new switch and then use a single cable to the hub. Else all traffic will have to go between switch on the router and your new switch.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Hubs puch the recieved data out to all connected devices, and the device the data is intended to be for accepts it. This puts unneccessary traffic onto all network cabling. I have not seen a hub for years.

Switches 'learn' which computers are where and direct the traffic only to the required machine.

When connected a switch to a router, get a switch with the capacity of all machines, and then uplink from the router to the switch, leaving the other router ports empty. This ensures internal network traffic does not have to rely on a single network cable at any point which creates a bottle neck. The only bottle neck will then be the cable from the switch to the router which is only going to be taking internet traffic (and a tiny bit of config traffic). This makes no odds, as you are limited by the broadband connection anyway.

Email : martin@askthetrades.co.uk

I seem to remember having to use a crossover cable to link switches?

Is that still the case?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

Just to add, on nearly every built in network adaptor & network card's on computers sold in the last few years will also be able to "auto uplink" so computer to computer etc no longer requires a x-over cable.

I actually carry a x-over cable in my tool bag, but I come across a lot of legacy kit which can require it.

I actually carry a x-over cable in my tool bag, but I come across a lot of legacy kit which can require it.

Needed one myself on Friday. That'll teach me to have a tidy up and leave it out the bag. :angry2:

I have a crossover adaptor that I just fit on the end of any straight through.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

A hub and a switch are not the same thing.. A hub is slower. You can hardly but hubs anymore and anyone who supplies one to a customer should really get with the times..

What you need is a switch. Get a 10/100 auto sensing and use a standard straight through patch lead to up link the router to the switch. If you need 5 ports buy a 8 or 16 port, switches are so cheap now its shocking..

Eoghan O'Flaherty

Fusion Networks

Southern Ireland

info@fusionnetworks.ie

VOICE VIDEO DATA NETWORKS

Archived