Security Installer Community

Joining Cat5 Cable

mental

Hi

I need to re-route some cat5 cable due to building work...I know the obvious answer is to run a new cable all the way from the dvr to the camera but should I consider joining it? The part I need to move is the first 50m of a 300m run so I am looking at joining it back to the existing cable at the 50m point

If I were to join it would it be better to use an RJ45 inline coupler or put a balun on each end to be joined and run a short coax cable between the 2? Hope this makes sense?

I just wondered if anybody else had experience of joining cat5? Is there a noticeable effect on quality? Any comments welcome

Thanks,

Mark

You don't specify what you are using it for but I assume you are passing video over it. If you were using CAT5e for networking and expected CAT5e performance, you would be way beyond the limit of ethernet performance limit of 100M.

If you are able to use CAT5e for video over this distance, you could use a CAT5e 110 block cross-connect if they were all appearing at one point. THis would be the neatest solution.

you can fit plugs to each exposed end and use an inline connector, then plave the whole lot in a box. i use one of the small ip65's for protection and neatness.-

or if you not too hot on doing the fiddly rj45 crimps, might be quicker to fit a dual rj45 socket and punch in a cable end to either side, connect through using a short patch lead between the sockets.

for what your using it for the joint losses will not be an issue imo and allows easier testing for faults (if you have the tester) should you have issues later.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

jelly connectors.

don'tyou mean scotch lock crimps available from RS ;)

lol that the ones but the BT engineer that i was talking to last week dropped 700 of them and never noticed. I just couldnt leave them ;) lol!

!

lol that the ones but the BT engineer that i was talking to last week dropped 700 of them and never noticed. I just couldnt leave them ;) lol!

I wish BT would drop some while I was around! :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

However you join it try to minimize the amount of 'untwisted' cable.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Archived