Security Installer Community

Joining Cat5 Cable

mental

Why in Gods name would you want to get out a soldering Iron?? What a waste of time.. The two best ways to join cat5e are firstly Gel Crimps, these take seconds and secondly maybe High Band Extenders. The reason I mentioned the high band is because thats the only aceptable way to join a cat5e network that is certified under 90m. If its a dedicated cat5e for security in other words you would be exceeding the maximum alowable distance for true cat5e certification then use gel crimps as they are cheap as chips, easy to use, waterproof, will take up to and over 100v dc, they are essential.

As Im also a telecoms and network engineer these have been in the toolbox for years but every site I go onto where Im taking over a cctv every engineer has used insulation tape of if hes good matbe strip connectors to join cables.. Use Gel crimps for all data, low voltage power and signal cabling..

Any good Telecoms or network supplier will have then, think I pay euro for a thousand. If you cant find them where you are Wood communications in Dublin do them.

woa matey,

nothing wronge wth a soldering if thats his choice, and don't have gel clips etc to hand, far better than scummy tape joints :bruce_h4h: .

need to sleeve them keepng the exposed twists as short as possible and not cook the cables, use a gas iron as leakage might fry any attached equipment, so best to un-patch it before you start (and test with a neon perhaps - just joking guys :whistle: ).

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Why in Gods name would you want to get out a soldering Iron?? What a waste of time.. The two best ways to join cat5e are firstly Gel Crimps, these take seconds and secondly maybe High Band Extenders. The reason I mentioned the high band is because thats the only aceptable way to join a cat5e network that is certified under 90m. If its a dedicated cat5e for security in other words you would be exceeding the maximum alowable distance for true cat5e certification then use gel crimps as they are cheap as chips, easy to use, waterproof, will take up to and over 100v dc, they are essential.

As Im also a telecoms and network engineer these have been in the toolbox for years but every site I go onto where Im taking over a cctv every engineer has used insulation tape of if hes good matbe strip connectors to join cables.. Use Gel crimps for all data, low voltage power and signal cabling..

Any good Telecoms or network supplier will have then, think I pay euro for a thousand. If you cant find them where you are Wood communications in Dublin do them.

Elvey Securitystock them, at least the Aston trade counter does, but you have to persuade the girl that they have them, seems no one else ever asks.

cat5 is brittle and tends to break under the screws, so chock block can cause problems, but in the real world, whats to hand ? IMO whats wrong with an 8 way intruder JB, as long as you twist the pairs together, get the wires under the washer, and dont overtighten, or red bullets. not every joint has to be weatherproof ! main thing, surely, is to support the wires and get a good mechanical joint.

I've been getting mine from Comtec along with my CAT5 but they certainly ain't a Euro a thousand :o

Think my num lock was off, was meant to say 15 euro ish.. And in my case Gel crimps are always to hand, put 20 in your tool belt and happy days..

And sorry to sound like a crank on this but Im sick to death of seeing brutal connections, laziness and pure disregard for the job in hand from the previous CCTV guy. It seems there is a slap up attitude to this business in this country and it'll have to change. If you would all like to see a demodtration of what I mean Ill glad post a pic of a site I visited recently.. Shocking shocking work. It took me a week to re-wire and make the system work like it should..

I have before and after pics if anyone would like to see. Ive been given permission by the site manager to use these pics on my under construction website, he was that happy!!

Eoghan O'Flaherty

Fusion Networks

Southern Ireland

info@fusionnetworks.ie

VOICE VIDEO DATA NETWORKS

yeah id like to see em, im told the gallery is the place to put em

Ok ive posted the before and after pics in the gallery section, there under the album Fusion Networks. Im afraid the pic quality isnt superb but you'll get the picture, to excuse the pun. Let me know what ye think.

And by the way this is not the first one of these we have had to do, its becoming a speciality of ours now!!! :)

Eoghan O'Flaherty

Fusion Networks

Southern Ireland

info@fusionnetworks.ie

VOICE VIDEO DATA NETWORKS

Archived