Security Installer Community

Joining Cat5 Cable

mental

If it going to be in a joint box we use jelly connectors.

can't really see a prob with that, even straight terminal block, 8 way alarm j/b or idc block for this job would likely be ok, as said earlier, standard advice - just keep the untwisted bits short as possible, and make joints as good as possible.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Thanks for all the advice guys, I am going to try an inline coupler. Coming from an IT background I've done this type of thing before but never for CCTV, so my main concern was loss of signal quality - from the sounds of it it's not an issue here

Mark

For install speed and connection integrity, jellies get my vote.

You can do this for what you are using the cable for, but couldn't if the cable was being installed as part of an ethernet spec.

Email : martin@askthetrades.co.uk

For install speed and connection integrity, jellies get my vote.

You can do this for what you are using the cable for, but couldn't if the cable was being installed as part of an ethernet spec.

Since we started using the Jelly conns we have not had one callout to a cable problem on sites in the past year that have them installed.

These connectors are excellent Imo if used in the right box.

!

• 3 weeks later...

Use High Band Extenders by Krone, much better than gel crimps or any other form of connector. These are the only approved connector for joining Cat5e in a network.

Fla

Eoghan O'Flaherty

Fusion Networks

Southern Ireland

info@fusionnetworks.ie

VOICE VIDEO DATA NETWORKS

Excuse my ignorance but what's wrong with soldering provided not much is untwisted?

depends how skilled the soldering level is done to, can have issues with the sleeving shrinking away from the heat causing shorts

imo far quicker to fit a double socket, punch down the cables to either side and link with a short patch lead for most people.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Excuse my ignorance but what's wrong with soldering provided not much is untwisted?

Why in Gods name would you want to get out a soldering Iron?? What a waste of time.. The two best ways to join cat5e are firstly Gel Crimps, these take seconds and secondly maybe High Band Extenders. The reason I mentioned the high band is because thats the only aceptable way to join a cat5e network that is certified under 90m. If its a dedicated cat5e for security in other words you would be exceeding the maximum alowable distance for true cat5e certification then use gel crimps as they are cheap as chips, easy to use, waterproof, will take up to and over 100v dc, they are essential.

As Im also a telecoms and network engineer these have been in the toolbox for years but every site I go onto where Im taking over a cctv every engineer has used insulation tape of if hes good matbe strip connectors to join cables.. Use Gel crimps for all data, low voltage power and signal cabling..

Any good Telecoms or network supplier will have then, think I pay euro for a thousand. If you cant find them where you are Wood communications in Dublin do them.

Eoghan O'Flaherty

Fusion Networks

Southern Ireland

info@fusionnetworks.ie

VOICE VIDEO DATA NETWORKS

Archived