Security Installer Community

Sensor Choice?

Phatty

Hi there,

I've been reading up on the wiring install of the control panel in preperation for its arrival.

I was just wondering if i am understanding the wiring options correctly.

I can wire it using 2 loops per sensor, 1 loop for the alarm trigger and 1 loop for tamper. So called closed circuit or double pole wiring in which case each loop can be assigned to a zone on the control panel. Effectively using 2 zones per sensor on the panel.

I can wire it using 1 loop per sensor for the alarm trigger. Then connect all the tamper wires in series and connect this to the global tamper on the control panel. Thus only using 1 zone per sensor on the panel. But the panel cannot tell which sensorhas been tampered with if it faults.

I can wire it EOL or FSL (Is there a difference?) In which case i only use 1 zone on the panel per sensor. With this the panel can differentiate between tamper and the alarm trigger for each sensor, yet still only use 1 zone on the panel per sensor.

Does this sound correct or am i getting myself confused??

Does anyone have any opinions on what configuration to go for considering i am only putting in 3 PIR at present.

Thanks

Guest anguscanplay

EOL (FSL) is always best - you need to fit the resistors in the PIR but just follow the instructions (dont worry why it does it just follow it LOL)

I wasn't planning changing the PIRs as they are only about 6 months old. I could rewire them however if there is much benfit in doing that?

I just wasn't planning playing about with resistors and the likes. That said in for a penny in for a pound, if it means a better install EOL might be worth a shout.

It's all starting to make sense now thanks to the good ol' tinterweb.

Thanks

I wasn't planning changing the PIRs as they are only about 6 months old. I could rewire them however if there is much benfit in doing that?

I just wasn't planning playing about with resistors and the likes. That said in for a penny in for a pound, if it means a better install EOL might be worth a shout.

It's all starting to make sense now thanks to the good ol' tinterweb.

Thanks

using EOL or DEOL is far better, then all detector cables used are monitored 24/7 so apart from higher security offered, if any damage occurs say by rodents a carpet fitter you know it has happened and often at the time it happens.

it also helps as if the detector trips, it is shown as an alarm where as a cable fault is shown as a tamper so increasing the accuracy of diagnostics ans reducing the amount of work tracing any faults.

older style double pole loop systems are still effective for alarm systems, and acceptable in a lower risk house, but give far less information costing time and so money. people often change detectors when the fault is on a cable, thats why EOL and DEOL are used in many of todays systems (and enforced by current regs on pro installers), but is also a preferred method to many if not all professionals.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Hi there all,

Right, I have decided to do the proper thing and go for the EOL wiring. I think I have understood how to do this correctly. Just to make sure I have drawn the below diagram to show the EOL wiring of a single PIR to the alarm panel. Can somebody please look over this and let me know if this is correct. I am assuming I just connect the resistors direct into the terminals in the PIR.

Thanks

Mark

post-15290-1196251559_thumb.jpg

Archived