Security Installer Community

Another Adsl Line Query, Help Me Out People!

Mike J

Thanks for the pointer to "kitz" and the tools there - very useful, hadn't seen some of those before. :)

The DMT tool is interesting - discovered my SNR is about 30 with potentially 10Mbs download available (and 1Mbps upload!).

And I used DrTCP to tweak the DMT settings resulting in much "crisper" web browsing.

(Netgear DG834GT by the way - I like them and they seem to work better in marginal situations.)

I've got a feeling that the problem here is something a bit more difficult though :(

SNR of 30 is not normal. This looks more like a DSLAM or RAMBO problem more than internal wiring. Now the tricky bit is to get your ISP to accept it.

I would plug it in without the filter, think about it! :rolleyes:

Well yes, but you would need an adapter for the cable (RJ11 to BT) or a modem cable of the correct sort.

Easier to just tell him to use a filter, then swap to another one as the next step..... (most people have at least 2)

SNR of 30 is not normal. This looks more like a DSLAM or RAMBO problem more than internal wiring. Now the tricky bit is to get your ISP to accept it.

That my (amateurandy's) SNR, not the OP. I was just saying thanks to you as an aside to the main discussion. :D

My broadband is fine! And my house internal wiring is good too (and very short!).

But the OP does need to eliminate the internal wiring first or it could get very expensive!

Well yes, but you would need an adapter for the cable (RJ11 to BT) or a modem cable of the correct sort.

Easier to just tell him to use a filter, then swap to another one as the next step..... (most people have at least 2)

The reason I would not use the filter is because the filter has been at fault every other time I had a problem with DSL.

There would be a problem if the op had no modem type cable I agree, most people have an old modem though.....

I was just reinforcing the idea of starting from scratch and adding one bit of kit at a time to chase down the fault.

It is normally the simple things that go wrong IMO.

BTW you can have a BT master socket now with built in filter, has the RJ11 built in, two filters in series don't work well as I found out when I checked out my neighbours DSL that wouldn't work! Keep it simple stupid! :rolleyes:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

The reason I would not use the filter is because the filter has been at fault every other time I had a problem with DSL.
Not my experience, though I have seen it occasionally.
I was just reinforcing the idea of starting from scratch and adding one bit of kit at a time to chase down the fault.It is normally the simple things that go wrong IMO.
Yep.
BTW you can have a BT master socket now with built in filter, has the RJ11 built in
Indeed, nice bit of kit.
two filters in series don't work well
True, though I saw one recently that did (just), but it was only 100 metres from the exchange. :ninja:

OK Men

Thanks for all the help and advice, today, I put the lid on this problem.

Took my router to my sister in laws house, 2Mb+ connection first time so we can take a possible faulty router out of the equation.

Then, got a BT master socket, went outside, connected it straight to the wires that come into the house thus eliminating every bit of internal cable and extensions and connected my router and laptop to it outside (good job its a dry sunny day eh) and I get the same results. No improvement in performance at all.

So, based on the facts, its either Virgin or BT, who is to blame guys?

I would suggest that there is no more troubleshooting I can do from my end.

Guest anguscanplay
OK Men

Took my router to my sister in laws house, 2Mb+ connection first time so we can take a possible faulty router out of the equation.

Then, got a BT master socket, went outside, connected it straight to the wires that come into the house thus eliminating every bit of internal cable and extensions and connected my router and laptop to it outside (good job its a dry sunny day eh) and I get the same results. No improvement in performance at all.

that I would have loved to have seen - R`ingOFL here - only real choice for you is to keep giving the ISP grief

OK Men

As mentioned earlier mike, Are cables in good condition? Do they run near/through trees? How old are they?

My drop wire was over 20 years old. BT said nothing wrong with it, i disagreed. Next high wind the cable suffered 'a failure'. BT replaced. Speed doubled.

Well done that man. :bruce_h4h:

Your only route is to keep hammering at Virgin. BT are not accessible unless you transfer to them as suggested earlier.

As a final check (because they'll probably ask you to do it anyway) repeat the test at you own "normal" master socket, having taken the faceplate off and thus (hopefully) disconnected everything. And try to leave it like that for a while (hours if possible).

Archived