Security Installer Community

Another Adsl Line Query, Help Me Out People!

Mike J

All great advice guys and the Kitz website s great.

A few questions I have would be -

Will changing my ISP increase my speed? At the end of the day, its coming through the same route?

I live in a cul de sac, I know the phone numbers and postcodes of my neighbours, my max download speed available on the line is said to be 0.5Mb but my immediate neighbours have an 8Mb spped available....I am really scratching my head.

I may well go for a freelance engineer to help me, any further suggestions are welcome.

Check some simple stuff first, do you have another PC to compare speeds with?

My laptop can be **** one day and good the next, the desktop pluged into a router is almost always fast.

Also when I had the same problem with download speeds and I contacted my ISP they said everything was fine as it should be, I found out later the "unmetered" connection I have always had now has a fair use policy. As I download Gigs of SciFi I was "limited" to a slow download speed between 8000h and 2300h. The bods at technical didn't seem to know this, I found out by reading through all the fine print on the ISP's site... After a month of "punishment" if my downloads are "normal" shall we say my download speed is cranked up again, all automatic I suppose!

Just some points worth considering as well as those already mentioned.

:IDEA:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

If you manage to get that working, please tell us how.

BT have their own speed test server for ADSL, you configure your router for it as it's a speed test connection only.

It's got to be better then using a server prone to network speed problems...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Amateur Radio Forum

http://www.speedtester.bt.com/

But these days you don't have to reconfigure the router, just go to the site using your normal browser and enter your phone number. :yes:

But if you have been network "squeezed" by your ISP as I have been that wouldn't work as it would show the "squeezed" speed not the real speed. :rolleyes:

My Amateur Radio Forum

But if you have been network "squeezed" by your ISP as I have been that wouldn't work as it would show the "squeezed" speed not the real speed. :rolleyes:

Very true, and an important point to remember as you effectively have 2 different tests available via BT:

- throughput available as configured by your ISP

- throughput available "native" to the exchange.

You can also test the line when there's just an ADSL signal but no valid ISP configured - handy when "disconnected" in error as I've seen more than once.

OK Guys

To take this further, I tested on the BT Speedtester service and the details are below -

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

IP profile for your line is - 135 kbps

DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 160 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)

Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 104 kbps

If you wish to discuss these results please contact your ISP.

If you are experiencing problems with specific applications, servers or websites please contact your ISP for assistance.

Your test has completed please close this window to exit the performance tester.

Just to let you know, I compared mine and my neighbours "expected download speeds" on the Virgin website (Virgin are my ISP). Cable is not available in my area and my package offers a max speed of 2Mb download.

I do not donwload any great file sizes (movies and music etc) and I am just a small man trying to get his connection speed up!!!

cheers Again

Mike

OK Guys

To take this further, I tested on the BT Speedtester service and the details are below -

Barely better than a modem, but if your line is rated at 135k it's perfectly reasonable.

Are you a long way from the exchange?

What are your neighbours results, that's the next most significant question? If they are significantly different there's a problem, maybe with your line or possibly your equipment or wiring - I've seen both do this.....

PS This is nothing to do with contention, so forget that as an issue.

OK Guys

If you wish to discuss these results please contact your ISP.

If you are experiencing problems with specific applications, servers or websites please contact your ISP for assistance.

Your test has completed please close this window to exit the performance tester.

Just to let you know, I compared mine and my neighbours "expected download speeds" on the Virgin website (Virgin are my ISP). Cable is not available in my area and my package offers a max speed of 2Mb download.

I do not donwload any great file sizes (movies and music etc) and I am just a small man trying to get his connection speed up!!!

cheers Again

Mike

Have you plugged in another PC to your connection to check that first?

You may just be chasing your tail unless you confirm that the PC is not at fault to begin with.....

Once that's confirmed go to the BT test server and check your connection speed, not through your ISP, reconfigure your router/PC remembering to jot down the existing connection details!!! Get someone clued up on PC's if you are not sure then if the problem is with the ISP you will have some ammo to through at them. If you call out BT to check the line remember they will charge if the fault is yours. I called them out last year when my BB connection played up but I made damm sure it wasn't my fault or my ISP's fault first. :whistle:

My Amateur Radio Forum

Archived