Security Installer Community

Another Adsl Line Query, Help Me Out People!

Mike J

Guest anguscanplay
I thought the DAC was for analogue only?

twas - you can get connected through a dac by mistake ( though in theory it shouldnt work ) - I was once, there again I might be wrong because we were also TPON ( fibre ) for part of the link and BT told so many lies it was hard to keep track

ask then about markers on the line - you might be DAC`D from the other side of the cul-desac

Interesting.

I had to try and sort out ADSL recently for a line that BT said was DAC'ed (it wasn't). Took ages to get to the truth. :angry2:

Good luck if that is the situation.

DACS or Digital Audio Carrier Systems will not support ADSL as it is only used for PSTN. The DACS would not be able to sync, neither would the ADSL if they were both on the same copper pair.

You need to find out what your SNR is. This fault is not due to throttling or traffic shaping. If possible get your hands on another broadband router or modem.

Have you cleared your catch and temp files from your PC, have you tried to change your DMT setting "Use DR TCIP".

You need to find out what your SNR is. This fault is not due to throttling or traffic shaping. If possible get your hands on another broadband router or modem.

Have you cleared your catch and temp files from your PC, have you tried to change your DMT setting "Use DR TCIP".

Thanks for the pointer to "kitz" and the tools there - very useful, hadn't seen some of those before. :)

The DMT tool is interesting - discovered my SNR is about 30 with potentially 10Mbs download available (and 1Mbps upload!).

And I used DrTCP to tweak the DMT settings resulting in much "crisper" web browsing.

(Netgear DG834GT by the way - I like them and they seem to work better in marginal situations.)

I've got a feeling that the problem here is something a bit more difficult though :(

Something important to consider.....

The BT equipment will rate the line as low-speed if recent connections have largely only achieved a low speed, whatever the reason. Even if a problem is corrected it can take some days to readjust.

So, just because BT reports a maximum 512Kb speed it doesn't mean the fault is with the line. It could be something in the house wiring/equipment.

To be certain you really need to disconnect all the internal wiring at the master socket and plug in the router (via a filter) direct to the master socket and see what transpires with absolutely nothing else on the line. Ideally you should use a known good router and filter if you can borrow them from someone. (or use a freelance expert who should have their own of course)

And if you can do this start by just connecting to BT using their speedtest logon, not your ISP's.

BTW What sort of modem/router have you got?

Wow, there are a million and one thigs to check eh!!!

My router is a Linksys WAG354G.

My router is a WAG!!! I just went on the Harvey Nich's site and the little f@@ker soon sped up!

My router is a Linksys WAG354G.

Ok, fairly normal bit of kit, nothing out of the ordinary - not one of the best or worst. Easily configured.

My recommendation would be to first test it plugged directly into the master socket (via filter) with everything else disconnected. If you've got a normal master socket you just take of the lower faceplate to expose the socket directly on the end of the incoming line.

If possible leave it like that for a while and turn it off then on again every half hour or so then check what speed it syncs at.

Ideally don't have any phones connected, but if you really need to plug one into the filter at the master socket without using any extension leads.

Ok, fairly normal bit of kit, nothing out of the ordinary - not one of the best or worst. Easily configured.

My recommendation would be to first test it plugged directly into the master socket (via filter) with everything else disconnected. If you've got a normal master socket you just take of the lower faceplate to expose the socket directly on the end of the incoming line.

If possible leave it like that for a while and turn it off then on again every half hour or so then check what speed it syncs at.

Ideally don't have any phones connected, but if you really need to plug one into the filter at the master socket without using any extension leads.

I would plug it in without the filter, think about it! :rolleyes:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

Archived