Security Installer Community

Another Adsl Line Query, Help Me Out People!

Mike J

OK, now we can go deeper, listed below are the line/postcode checks I did via the Kitz website, as you can see when you compare, mine is the same distance as my sister in laws who lives opposite me in a cul de sac, you can see that our expected line speeds are different -

Mine -

Exchange: Birkdale. BT Code: LCBIR

ADSL enabled : September 29, 2001

dsl Max enabled: March 30, 2006

SDSL enabled : Not Enabled

21CN due : no info

Distance:- Direct: 1.07 km

(appx)* By Road: 1.29 km

BT Line Speed Estimation

Fixed ADSL: 512 kbps (0.5 Mb)

DSL Max : 500 kbps (0.5 Mb)

My Sister in law -

Distance:- Direct: 1.02 km

(appx)* By Road: 1.13 km

BT Line speed estimation

Fixed ADSL: 2048 kbps (2 Mb)

DSL Max : 8000 kbps (8 Mb)

Have you plugged in another PC to your connection to check that first?

You may just be chasing your tail unless you confirm that the PC is not at fault to begin with.....

I have 3 PC's that I have tested this with, my main PC, my sons and my laptop, all get the same results.

I have 3 PC's that I have tested this with, my main PC, my sons and my laptop, all get the same results.

Ok, if it were me I would consider bunging my sister a few quid and installing a wireless access point in her house and use that connection! But that would break her terms and conditions with her ISP if she told them she was doing it.

:rolleyes:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

Guest anguscanplay
Alternatively phone BT and ask what service they would provide if you transferred to them.

all they would do is give you a " made up " figure :no: no ones knows till connection

all they would do is give you a " made up " figure :no: no ones knows till connection

Well, maybe, but they should look at the same data to give an estimate. Once they've given a figure you can then ask why it's so low - there's nothing that motivates a company more to sort things out than a sale!

And if they give a big number, just switch. At least they should be able to sort it out if it doesn't work as advertised.

Guest anguscanplay
Well, maybe, but they should look at the same data to give an estimate. Once they've given a figure you can then ask why it's so low - there's nothing that motivates a company more to sort things out than a sale!

And if they give a big number, just switch. At least they should be able to sort it out if it doesn't work as advertised.

yep - they base it on distance to exchange and a good one wont do it as the crow flies, none of that tells em about the chunk of aliminium (sic) though LOL

The kitz site lists my possible connection speed of 500k, I normally get 1.2 to 1.5 MB so it ain't trustworthy!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Amateur Radio Forum

Guest anguscanplay
OK, now we can go deeper, listed below are the line/postcode checks I did via the Kitz website, as you can see when you compare, mine is the same distance as my sister in laws who lives opposite me in a cul de sac, you can see that our expected line speeds are different -

Mine -

Distance:- Direct: 1.07 km

(appx)* By Road: 1.29 km

BT Line Speed Estimation

Fixed ADSL: 512 kbps (0.5 Mb)

DSL Max : 500 kbps (0.5 Mb)

My Sister in law -

Distance:- Direct: 1.02 km

(appx)* By Road: 1.13 km

BT Line speed estimation

Fixed ADSL: 2048 kbps (2 Mb)

DSL Max : 8000 kbps (8 Mb)

ask then about markers on the line - you might be DAC`D from the other side of the cul-desac

ask then about markers on the line - you might be DAC`D from the other side of the cul-desac

I thought the DAC was for analogue only?

My Amateur Radio Forum

Archived