Security Installer Community

Another Adsl Line Query, Help Me Out People!

Mike J

All done and tested without any change in results.

Interestingly though, when I logged on this morning at 7.20AM, 2.3Mb connection. Just done the same speedtest at 1.20PM and clocked at 293Kbs. This has to be a contention ratio problem I feel.

Interestingly though, when I logged on this morning at 7.20AM, 2.3Mb connection. Just done the same speedtest at 1.20PM and clocked at 293Kbs. This has to be a contention ratio problem I feel.

Highly unlikely. What speed is the router connecting at as shown on its status page?

Is there any chance somebody has been using your connection for downloading video/filesharing without you knowing?

You may then find the ISP is choking your download speed at peak times as happened to me.

The ordinary tech help (pah!) won't even know this is happening half the time, check it again tommorow real early to confirm? :question:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

Is there any chance somebody has been using your connection for downloading video/filesharing without you knowing?

You may then find the ISP is choking your download speed at peak times as happened to me.

It's possible, but not consistent with Virgin's published policy which applies traffic management between 4pm and 1am:

How can I tell if I'm being traffic-managed?

The vast majority of users (circa 95%) should not notice a change in their broadband service. For those that do get 'traffic-managed' you can check your speed using a trust worthy speed checker on the internet. The speed restriction is a temporary measure and each week we review the accounts of those being 'traffic-managed'. If you limit your peak time usage then you should drop out of the top 5% list, and, if this is the case, then we will restore your peak time speeds to their default next time we refresh the list.

There are several tools that you can use to check how much you're downloading. One particularly useful tool you can download is called DU Meter. You can download it at http://www.hageltech.com/dumeter/

If you'd like to use a different tool, you might like to try www.tucows.com.

Application Management is a single rule applied to all. So if you're using Peer to Peer applications at busy times (that's between 4pm and 1am) it is possible that we may be using some bandwidth management. Outside these times we will not use Application Management. Any change to peak periods will be published in this document.

It's possible, but not consistent with Virgin's published policy which applies traffic management between 4pm and 1am:

How can I tell if I'm being traffic-managed?

The vast majority of users (circa 95%) should not notice a change in their broadband service. For those that do get 'traffic-managed' you can check your speed using a trust worthy speed checker on the internet. The speed restriction is a temporary measure and each week we review the accounts of those being 'traffic-managed'. If you limit your peak time usage then you should drop out of the top 5% list, and, if this is the case, then we will restore your peak time speeds to their default next time we refresh the list.

There are several tools that you can use to check how much you're downloading. One particularly useful tool you can download is called DU Meter. You can download it at http://www.hageltech.com/dumeter/

If you'd like to use a different tool, you might like to try www.tucows.com.

Application Management is a single rule applied to all. So if you're using Peer to Peer applications at busy times (that's between 4pm and 1am) it is possible that we may be using some bandwidth management. Outside these times we will not use Application Management. Any change to peak periods will be published in this document.

Well if they keep to the letter of the agreement then that would rule it out, but when did any ISP stick to an agreement? It seems to be the ISP choking bandwidth from what the op has stated? I am really interested in the outcome of this one, is there someone hijacking the op's connection.....hmmmmm.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

I am really interested in the outcome of this one, is there someone hijacking the op's connection.....hmmmmm.

Yes, it's certainly interesting.

Has he ever told us his router connection speeds, or just throughput?

I think to proceed further he's going to need sets of data collected at the same time as evidence, e.g.:

Throughput measurements (from several tools to verify)

Router status - connection speeds, error & noise levels

I guess I'm lucky in comparison. 2Mb service at present (8Mb upgrade on order), router always at 2272/288 down/up and throughput generally 1950/250 with little variation (1450/250 right now). :yes:

Guest anguscanplay
Yes, it's certainly interesting.

Has he ever told us his router connection speeds, or just throughput?

I think to proceed further he's going to need sets of data collected at the same time as evidence, e.g.:

Throughput measurements (from several tools to verify)

Router status - connection speeds, error & noise levels

I guess I'm lucky in comparison. 2Mb service at present (8Mb upgrade on order), router always at 2272/288 down/up and throughput generally 1950/250 with little variation (1450/250 right now). :yes:

you LLU`D

you LLU`D

No and no sign of any takers either. Only BT kit in the exchange. 21CN due 2011!

Got cable available in the road - Virgin Media (was NTL) but not many customers though it's been in for many years.

We've had ADSL for 5 years and ADSLmax for 18 months.

(Throughput currently 1990/245 :) )

Archived