Security Installer Community

Menvier M800

RutlandGizz

Guest anguscanplay
Up to the insurance co involved. They aren't paying to have the alarm fixed, they're putting his mom in a position to get the alarm put back the way it was, they could have sent a company round to put it back the way it was if they'd wanted to.

We don't know if the alarm is declared on the insurance. I won't be claiming an insurance reduction for mine.

My glasses are exactly analogous to his mom's alarm with the possible exception that my insurance definitely doesn't require me to have a pair of sunglasses & we don't know if his mom's insurance requires her to have a working alarm - it it does then she's uninsured & the insurance co will be more than happy to take her insurance premium without the risk of a payout - not their problem.

My insurance co sent somebody round to change locks - I'd have been happy just to claim the cost of locks & fit them myself for free. I don't think they did it to make sure the locks were changed. I think they did it because they thought it would be cheaper than me buying somebody in to change them - they didn't know I'd do it for free.

we`ll have to agree to disagree Ian, your glasses wouldnt be priced with a " fitting charge " from the optitions now would they, and it`s not the issue whether the o/p claims a discount for having his alarm or not. To me it`s about him claiming the cash equivalent of a fully installed and tested and guarenteed system then fitting it himself ( IF that is what happened ) claim the cost of the components would be the proper way to do it. We often refit insurance claims and it`s for that reason we have started to insist on payment from the insurers direct instead.

To be honest Ian could you not get an approved alarm company in and fit a good alarm system for your mum through her insurance. If it was my mum then i would make sure she had the best security possible fitted by a certified company who checks the system year after year.

On top of that it would be monitored sending messages back to my phone first then other family and friends.

A backup GSM system also send signals to my mobile then family.

I maybe a mummys little boy but nobody will breakin to her house without a fright.........and the masterblaster helps in the loft aswell!!

!

we`ll have to agree to disagree Ian, your glasses wouldnt be priced with a " fitting charge " from the optitions now would they, and it`s not the issue whether the o/p claims a discount for having his alarm or not. To me it`s about him claiming the cash equivalent of a fully installed and tested and guarenteed system then fitting it himself ( IF that is what happened ) claim the cost of the components would be the proper way to do it. We often refit insurance claims and it`s for that reason we have started to insist on payment from the insurers direct instead.

Angus, I think you've misunderstood and got the "value thing" the wrong way round.

The insurers would pay for the value of a professionally fitted alarm if that's what was damaged/destroyed. If it was originally a DIY install then the compensation would match that.

If the compensation doesn't match the loss then someone (insurer or customer) has an issue, but there's no proof of that in this case (though lots of potentially libellous suggestions!)

BUT, as you say, we don't actually know what it was, do we? :whistle:

PS New glasses do normally include "fitting" - that's when they bend the ends to go over your ears properly.

The UK optician price does include service/fitting. I could have ordered the glasses from the States for less than a UK optician but without the service / easy access to backup.

I was quite surprised that the insurance company a) did everything over the phone, nothing at all in writing; and B) hasn't asked for any proof of purchase. Quite different from when I've claimed before - quite a few years back now.

Not sure how he established the value of the claim. Hopefully he didn't send a fake receipt in for the repairs ;)

I don't think a professional quote obligates him to go to a pro.

To be honest Ian could you not get an approved alarm company in and fit a good alarm system for your mum through her insurance. If it was my mum then i would make sure she had the best security possible fitted by a certified company who checks the system year after year.On top of that it would be monitored sending messages back to my phone first then other family and friends. A backup GSM system also send signals to my mobile then family.I maybe a mummys little boy but nobody will breakin to her house without a fright.........and the masterblaster helps in the loft aswell!!

I think you've got mum's mixed up - I'm not the original poster :) O/P goes by the name of Gizz (don't think it's his real name)

My mom can sort her own flippin alarm out. :)

Guest anguscanplay
Angus, I think you've misunderstood and got the "value thing" the wrong way round.The insurers would pay for the value of a professionally fitted alarm if that's what was damaged/destroyed.
then that is what they should have had then
If it was originally a DIY install then the compensation would match that.
ditto
If the compensation doesn't match the loss then someone (insurer or customer) has an issue, but there's no proof of that in this case (though lots of potentially libellous suggestions!)BUT, as you say, we don't actually know what it was, do we? :whistle:
no we dont, were just shooting the breeze waiting for the o/p to aplogize for his outburst
PS New glasses do normally include "fitting" - that's when they bend the ends to go over your ears properly.
24hrs a day ? lol

IF A claimant had no intention of getting a pro fit then they have falsely inflated the value of the claim just as much as someone claiming for that digital camera that was never in their travel bags.your not allowed to better yourself in the insurance world but we all pay in the end

I don't think a professional quote obligates him to go to a pro.
same argument then - a receipt from B&Q would pay for a pro fit ?

The UK optician price does include service/fitting. I could have ordered the glasses from the States for less than a UK optician but without the service / easy access to backup.

Try "glasses direct" in the UK - I have and they're very good value.

And if you buy varifocals from them it includes (for a reasonable fee) a home visit!

End of advert! (just making a point)

Other online spectacles providers exist and this is not intended as an endorsement of any particular brand or criticism of our valiant high street opticians... blah, blah, blah

Guest anguscanplay
Try "glasses direct" in the UK - I have and they're very good value.

And if you buy varifocals from them it includes (for a reasonable fee) a home visit!

End of advert! (just making a point)

no DIY then ?

IF A claimant had no intention of getting a pro fit then they have falsely inflated the value of the claim just as much as someone claiming for that digital camera that was never in their travel bags.

Claiming for a camera that wasn't stolen is fraud. Replacing a stolen digital with a second hand cheaper camera is ok. The insurance pays for the one that was nicked not the cheaper replacement.

Because the alarm was professionally fitted to start with I think it's reasonable for the claim to be based on a professional repair - doesn't mean he can't do it cheaper if he can or not bother repairing it at all - subject of course to his insurance remaining valid.

Claiming for a camera that wasn't stolen is fraud. Replacing a stolen digital with a second hand cheaper camera is ok. The insurance pays for the one that was nicked not the cheaper replacement.

Because the alarm was professionally fitted to start with I think it's reasonable for the claim to be based on a professional repair - doesn't mean he can't do it cheaper if he can or not bother repairing it at all - subject of course to his insurance remaining valid.

QFA.

:closed:

Archived