Security Installer Community

New Alarm Spec

IanHug

Guest anguscanplay
I wouldn't expect either the RS4 or an Evo to stay on the drive for more than a week before they got taken & used in a robbery.

Physically stopping people getting in seems very difficult short of steel shutters & doors.

If external PIRs are reliable enough then I'd have thought that the house lights going on while they are still outside would do the trick - they were very careful to clear their fast exit routes both outside the house and when they got into the house.

CCTV would be the icing on the cake but (maybe being selfish) my objective would be to scare them off before they enter the house rather than gather evidence for later.

Anyone recommend reliable external PIRs

I may well end up getting the work done for me but the more I know the more informed I can be when choosing a supplier & system.

Ian

`ll

you`ve got the same problem dear old has with his bike :no: aint no outside light going to "scare off " the type who come to nick these things - put it in the garage with a post infront - all makes em have to work harder , its one of the few times I would say cctv , lights and alarms wouldnt have a deterant value but ( its a big but ) I`m only talking about nicking the car ( or the big plasma telly round here ) its still good for damage limitation you`ll never deter a smash and grab

`ll

you`ve got the same problem dear old has with his bike :no: aint no outside light going to "scare off " the type who come to nick these things - put it in the garage with a post infront - all makes em have to work harder , its one of the few times I would say cctv , lights and alarms wouldnt have a deterant value but ( its a big but ) I`m only talking about nicking the car ( or the big plasma telly round here ) its still good for damage limitation you`ll never deter a smash and grab

Smash & grab no but anybody who wants a quiet exit with out raising the alarm.

I'm not sure whether these burglars would have pressed on regardless if they saw somebody moving around in the house anyway but I'm working on the assumption (maybe it's a false hope) that anybody quietly breaking in the dead of night probably doesn't want to meet the house owner.

I don't want to post details but these guys seemed very cautious and careful - definitely didn't want to raise an early alarm.

Ian

I'm not sure whether these burglars would have pressed on regardless if they saw somebody moving around in the house anyway but I'm working on the assumption (maybe it's a false hope) that anybody quietly breaking in the dead of night probably doesn't want to meet the house owner.

I don't want to post details but these guys seemed very cautious and careful - definitely didn't want to raise an early alarm.

Ian

Hanoi burglary big business round these parts. Only want the keys to the car.

Guest anguscanplay

Ian

not happening at the moment ( as i said its plasma telly`s round here ) but used to be BMW`s etc - we`ve filmed them in and out in 45secs but now if the alarm was sounding then at least they aint going to empty the place , what I`m getting at is it wouldnt have prevented your car getting nicked so I wouldnt be saying get one for that but next time it might be a full burglary which alarms are a good deterant for but any house can be targeted at any time of the day.

At the end of the day, if you secure your property enough that it becomes too difficult to get in for the keys then you may find that they take the keys when they are most vulnerable - ie, when you have them in your possession at 7 in the morning on your way out to work. As tough as people like to think they are, I can tell you from personal experience that the fight soon drains out of you when you are attacked with knives and bats :ninja::angry:

If the worst comes to the worst and this happens, it may seem cowardly, but I suggest throwing the keys - either away from them or at them.

At the end of the day, if you secure your property enough that it becomes too difficult to get in for the keys then you may find that they take the keys when they are most vulnerable - ie, when you have them in your possession at 7 in the morning on your way out to work. As tough as people like to think they are, I can tell you from personal experience that the fight soon drains out of you when you are attacked with knives and bats :ninja::angry:

If the worst comes to the worst and this happens, it may seem cowardly, but I suggest throwing the keys - either away from them or at them.

i suggest keeping some dud keys on you, throw and get indoors if thats how you feel. atleast they don't get the real thing.

i am also talking personal experience, except in my case it was a 10k watch. and that was a long story

i suggest keeping some dud keys on you, throw and get indoors if thats how you feel. atleast they don't get the real thing.

i am also talking personal experience, except in my case it was a 10k watch. and that was a long story

What, you threw the 10k watch at them? That'd do it :)

Archived