Security Installer Community

New Alarm Spec

IanHug

Hi

After taking a perverse pleasure for the last 15 years in being the only house in the road without an alarm and not getting burgled the inevitable happened and we were burgled. :( . Thieves were after the cars and just took the keys and left - way too easy for them (until they got nicked that is :) ) .

I don't want the cars to go missing again and I think an alarm might have helped deter them (perhaps) and certainly wouldn't have done any harm.

I was toying with the idea of doing a DIY but might get someone in if it looks too complicated (it's the EOL stuff that's hurting my head). I've come up with the list of kit below to cover the downstairs, upstairs landing and garage all from Texecom.

Premier 24 + 7amp/hour Battery

RKP LCDP + Prox Tags

Speech + Text Dialler

Wintex S/W + PC Com

Odyssey 3

Internal Sound Bomb

PIR Prestige AMDT x 6

Door contact x 1

Exodus Fire / Smoke x 2

I'd be grateful if you could tell me if this looks sensible? have I missed anything? are there better options than the kit I've listed?

Lastly do you think it's too much for a DIY?

Thanks in advance

Ian

Guest anguscanplay

Hi Ian - did you claim from any insurance ? it might be cheaper in the long run to get a certified system installed now rather than have to replace it when its up for renewal problem from a pro point of view is it`s impossible to spec you a system without having a site visit ( risk assesments and all that )

other than that it`s just connecting by numbers if you fancy doing it yourself

Angus

Guest Dave the alarm man
if u got sporty cars and people are going to enter youre property,

I was waiting for the OP to come back but.....

Less assume a 2yr old audi a4 @ 15k & 4yr old golf @ 8K both tdi's, 23k of metal

House your guess is as good as mine does 200k seem a fair amount? contents ?? say 40k ??

OP wants to spend less than the price of of pvc front door (from srewfix) on "protecting it" if you where to budget one 1/2 of 1% the value of a propetry for an alarm, chances are you will get a proper one fitted for you, that meets the requirments of your insurer, maybe some proper door & window lock & chances are some change into the bargin

I was waiting for the OP to come back but.....

Less assume a 2yr old audi a4 @ 15k & 4yr old golf @ 8K both tdi's, 23k of metal

House your guess is as good as mine does 200k seem a fair amount? contents ?? say 40k ??

OP wants to spend less than the price of of pvc front door (from srewfix) on "protecting it" if you where to budget one 1/2 of 1% the value of a propetry for an alarm, chances are you will get a proper one fitted for you, that meets the requirments of your insurer, maybe some proper door & window lock & chances are some change into the bargin

Car is worth quite bit. Thatcham 5 GPS/GSM tracker was fitted which meant the alarm was raised immediately they started the engine and the police could be told exactly where it was. Up to that point I'd assumed that the car getting nicked wouldn't happen as all the new cars like that have a tracker fitted to at least that spec - these guys fancied their chances at disabling it but didn't quite manage it and are now residing at Her Majesty's pleasure.

Why DIY? I do most of the work on the house myself because I like doing it.

I haven't checked out how much difference it would make to the house insurance, I'm not expecting it to make a huge difference.

Ian

Hi Ian - did you claim from any insurance ? it might be cheaper in the long run to get a certified system installed now rather than have to replace it when its up for renewal problem from a pro point of view is it`s impossible to spec you a system without having a site visit ( risk assesments and all that )

other than that it`s just connecting by numbers if you fancy doing it yourself

Angus

Yes there's a small house insurance claim for items left in the car + new door locks which seems to be a standard thing.

The site visits by the couple of firms I've had round so far were salesmen and weren't very impressive. They obviously had a standard package that they wanted to sell and not offering any real security advice.

If you can recommend a good firm in the West Mids........

Ian

I haven't checked out how much difference it would make to the house insurance, I'm not expecting it to make a huge difference.

Probably none at all; most insurers want a professionally fitted and maintained alarm before they'll consider any discount.

And (as discussed on other threads) it can give them an excuse to avoid paying if it's not set properly and there's a break-in. :(

Archived