Security Installer Community

Site Suggestions

breff

This topic has been started after consulting with Dave.

Any suggestions for the site or things you like/dislike can be posted here.

WARNING

Any off topic posts or silly posts will be deleted.

Any seriously silly posts will result in an increase in warn level

OK , serious part out of the way, your ideas and opinions will be appreciated

Glenn

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

OK, it's been said before in various ways, but a "new users" (Read This First) section very obvious would be good, to include:

The rules,

What moderators are about,

FAQ's - answers to all those stupid questions that get asked many times over and often get brusque replies,

etc.

This topic has been started after consulting with Dave.

Any suggestions for the site or things you like/dislike can be posted here.

[OK , serious part out of the way, your ideas and opinions will be appreciated

Glenn

1) I feel the amount of info given FOC to the industries existing and potential customers is excessive.

2) I feel the abrupt replies by some are un-called for.

3) I feel trade status requires more indepth evaluation before being granted.

I get paid for what I know as much as what I do and therfor have came to the conclusion that I do not wish to divulge information that has cost me in both monetary and time terms. I would ask that other professionals thing long and hard about the impact to them of a "free information" forum/website.

That's all for now.

Thanks for asking Breff.

Chorlton.

:) = smile (happy)

I think the number of posts made by new members should be restricted for a while to allow the new member time to see how the forum works and to hopefully not post so many inappropriate comments.

We have a new member who has averaged 10.25 a day for 12 days, a bit over the top, especially as many had no direct relevance to the topic, just an 'off the cuff comment', proven by the removal, along with others, of quite a few.

When lately reading a new topic, I find that I know what comment is on the way, usually right.

I know we all make the occasional faux pas with our posts but I think this needs looking at.

Someone told me I was ignorant and apathetic, I don't know what that means, nor do I care.

I feel the amount of info given FOC to the industries existing and potential customers is excessive.

I get paid for what I know as much as what I do and therfor have came to the conclusion that I do not wish to divulge information that has cost me in both monetary and time terms. I would ask that other professionals thing long and hard about the impact to them of a "free information" forum/website.

That's your choice, obviously others feel differently.

I work in IT and it's much more open about sharing information and expertise.

My own view is that you get back in proportion to what you put in......

I give a **** of a lot of free advice in my business and it repays itself in spades in building my reputation and bringing in profitable business.

AND FINALLY: Dave has put a hell of a lot in, let's try to give something helful back! :bruce_h4h:

Guest anguscanplay
I think the number of posts made by new members should be restricted for a while to allow the new member time to see how the forum works and to hopefully not post so many inappropriate comments.

We have a new member who has averaged 10.25 a day for 12 days, a bit over the top, especially as many had no direct relevance to the topic, just an 'off the cuff comment', proven by the removal, along with others, of quite a few.

When lately reading a new topic, I find that I know what comment is on the way, usually right.

I know we all make the occasional faux pas with our posts but I think this needs looking at.

i hope you mean me lol

sometimes though a new member can be on old member under a new guise

the one that winds me up is public members telling other public members the opposite of the professionals when its a definative answer from a pro

and i would rather give guidance and stop someone killing thereself than sit back and watch

angus

That's your choice, obviously others feel differently.

I work in IT and it's much more open about sharing information and expertise.

My own view is that you get back in proportion to what you put in......

I give a **** of a lot of free advice in my business and it repays itself in spades in building my reputation and bringing in profitable business.

AND FINALLY: Dave has put a hell of a lot in, let's try to give something helful back! :bruce_h4h:

Hi Andy,

In any free society, the conflict between social conformity and individual liberty is permanent, unresolvable, and necessary.

However, less of the fighting smilies if you please.

Thanks,

Chorlton.

the one that winds me up is public members telling other public members the opposite of the professionals when its a definative answer from a pro

and i would rather give guidance and stop someone killing thereself than sit back and watch

That's free speech for you!

Personally I'm very glad that people like you take the time and effort to give professional input. Remember though, it needs to be worded so that it's taken seriously by the non-professional, something that's not always easy. :rolleyes:

However, the Public Mods are taking a lead here; the standard of professional posts in the public areas is definitely improving. :whistle:

Archived