Security Installer Community

Site Suggestions

breff

OK, it's been said before in various ways, but a "new users" (Read This First) section very obvious would be good, to include:

The rules,

What moderators are about,

FAQ's - answers to all those stupid questions that get asked many times over and often get brusque replies,

etc.

Until recently I had a dedicated FAQ area, no one was interested in it because it wasn't a part of the actual Forum, but yeah we can do a forum section devoted to Indrocucing the community and a round up of FAQ's.

i think we should be able to close our own topics that we start and also delet our own posts for example if we think they are not appropriate.

but this should apply to all people in the trade areas acccess wether it be intruder, cctv, fire, or access etc not for the basic members tho as that could be abbused

This was abused last time I enabled it..

Won't be getting enabled again any time soon.

My only suggestion would be for another category related to all things IP.

Just say when your ready and i'll set one up.

1) I feel the amount of info given FOC to the industries existing and potential customers is excessive.

2) I feel the abrupt replies by some are un-called for.

3) I feel trade status requires more indepth evaluation before being granted.

I get paid for what I know as much as what I do and therfor have came to the conclusion that I do not wish to divulge information that has cost me in both monetary and time terms. I would ask that other professionals thing long and hard about the impact to them of a "free information" forum/website.

It'll be a while before anyone is permitted Trade Access to this community via the normal process, And I believe Dave (DNS) did a great job vetting. As for a more in-depth evaluation i'd like to know exactly what you mean and how we might go about implementing it.?

Most Alarm equipment can now be bought by members of the public for DIY installs, most site's offering this equipment also provide manuals if asked or share them online to whom ever want's a copy. There's a few other sites offering way more information than we tend to divulge at this one.

Abrupt replies by ANYONE are totally un-necessary, It causes tension and a tendency to retaliate. This forum, especially the public side is currently undergiong changes in the way it's moderated. The main goal being to keep things on-topic and get rid of un-necessary replies.

However, the Public Mods are taking a lead here; the standard of professional posts in the public areas is definitely improving.

Agree 100% The public mods are making a difference for the better.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

rjb your just having a dig at this site now if you feel that strongly about it i suggest you toddle back to your new forum and leave us all be here. your not the only one who has come back on here to make sly remarks. enough said if you dont like it here go and dont return.

pete

pete .................

Any comments/opinions posted are my own and not that of my employers.

as long as your forum is popular you are happy

Now that is exactly where you are wrong. You really don't know me very well, This site of mine was never supposed to get this popular, I'd still be just as happy with 1 person a day visiting and me replying like it was for quite a few weeks in the early days. I was happy enough with what I had then. Infact the whole of the first year was very enjoyable.

What narks me more than anything at the moment is the state the community had gotten to a few months ago, and the mod bashing now were trying to make it better.

of course as an employee of a large national you obviously don't care about providing information to Joe Public

Of course I do, I know where to draw the line. Me being employed by a national has never had any influence, i'd be exactly the same if I were employed by a small company or even if I ran a company.

but it's popularity is only going in one direction now

Do you think so.. Stay Tuned.. :)

That's not a good enough excuse, there is absolutely no need to make it even easier - of course as an employee of a large national you obviously don't care about providing information to Joe Public, as long as your forum is popular you are happy, but it's popularity is only going in one direction now.

Roger,

you have a tendency to use the fact a member is an employee of a company rather than an owner like you and i to give value to your arguments.

thats is wrong as it is belittlement.

what Dave has said is correct, and Dave doe's care which is obvious to see, as we all do for our trade. to say different is highly insulting and unaceptable abuse especially in attempt to win an argument, so show some respect - if you want some or don't post

whether we like it or not this info is widely available, our 'excuse' as you put it for it being available here, is the info can be accompanied by knowledgeable input from true professionals such as you, if you care to with good sound advice, not some upstart wannabe armatures advice found on other sites.

keep post respectful or be edited - Arfur

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

It's not a sly remark -it's my personal view, and I might add that of a good many others.

You and the others your reffering to are quite entitled to your views. As usual though with the written word it is often interpereted differently by most who read it.

I didn't regard your reply as a dig at myself, it's just you being you.

only time will tell, whether or not this forum is heading in the right direction. imo. hat off to dave for his efforts, it cannot be easy.

:) i just hope the fun has not gone out of it for him.

Kevin Scott. Owner of KK Alarms...... Installation .. Service .. Repair ...... Thoughout.. Northumberland and North Tyneside ..... Tel:01670 361948 (call diverted after 15 seconds) or 07947444114

only time will tell, whether or not this forum is heading in the right direction. imo. hat off to dave for his efforts, it cannot be easy.

:) i just hope the fun has not gone out of it for him.

you kidding kka? with me arround :rolleyes:

madmen enjoy the madhouse most of all ;)

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived