Security Installer Community

Recent Feedback

How un-helpful can we get..? :angry2:

A question I should not be asking myself. :no:

These last few months this community seems to have lowered itself yet again by on numerous occasions being rather un-helpful, disrespectful and be-littling to our public members. There is NO excuse for this, it does nothing for the reputation of this community and it's Trade membership.

Recent PM's to myself from many PUBLIC and Trade members have been to complain about various replies to publicly asked questions. It is my opinion that if any member has nothing useful to add to the origional query then he should not bother to reply.

Any replies to posts in the publicly viewable sections of this community should be made in a proffesional, curtious and respectful manner.

If you do not want to help a member, then do not reply to his question.

hi Dave,

i fully support everything you say, and if you are getting regular 'offenders' who will not moderate their posts, why not simply remove their ability to post in the public area's?

if they want to behave like spoiled twot's, then keep them in their room, they can bitch in the trade area if they want amongst the likes of me who can more than defend themselves.

i don't think as some suggested we should not comment on an item not actually known to us personally, many fault cause's or work around, are common across many devices and panels, you just need to let the OP know you are not accustomed with that bit of kit.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

I thought people were shot down as a sport on here, it's not a new thing and has been going on for ages. I remember some of the answers I got to some of my posts.

I use this site as a way to keep abreast of current issues etc, I only post when I am sure of the correct answer. If I do type a question I take it as fact that some amoeba will try and belittle me, but ho hum their opinion is of little interest to me, what I'm interested in is the answer from the people who know.

One last thing, I consider this site a shop window to people looking into purchasing alarms and I think that if I had no knowledge and looked on here for advice I would consider alarm engineers pre-madonnas's with very low self esteem.

The older I get, the faster I was.

I don't think Dave implied you had to tell them how to fit an alarm, his request was to keep it polite & professional. Sometimes its correct to help someone further sometimes its not, but what ever the advice that's given it needs to be conveyed so that the person feels good about using the site.

It boils down to the age-old adage, "its not what you say, its how you say it that counts"

Paul

Spot on Paul.
Many people come on here looking for support for many reasons, most of the time we wont know the circumstances, so to judge someone by their one and only post is wrong. Sometimes its better to post nothing if you don't know or if someone has already given the answer, its not necessary to "QFA" or add techno babble to the post :)

Google is not always your friend either :whistle:

It's nice to have you agreeing with me Colin. This is not the first time I have asked members to think about each reply they make, especially in the Public sections.

Some Trade members here have details of there company at the foot of each post they make, that post will no doubt contain your signature when it's googled. If your post is found in searches for your company on google then don't come crying to me about it. :no:

BTW: Several times now I have removed memberships and all that members posts because searches for there company bought up un-wanted search results. I do NOT intend to do this without very good reason from now on.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

hi Dave,

i fully support everything you say, and if you are getting regular 'offenders' who will not moderate their posts, why not simply remove their ability to post in the public area's?

I have been giving this idea some serious though for quite some time. Hence the creation of the Trade Only group a while back.

have you noticed the "thanks" post about old hand and myself?

see its not all bad

Just seen it, well done to you both...

Sadly though emails, pm's and posts thanking this site and it's members are very few and far between.

Guest Alarm Guard
Just seen it, well done to you both...

Sadly though emails, pm's and posts thanking this site and it's members are very few and far between.

That may be more to do with human nature than any responses given on here.

Guest Peter James
That may be more to do with human nature than any responses given on here.

Yep on average you should get 26 compliants for every 3 who bother to give a positive pm/email, British human nature.

Figures provided by American Express

Archived