Security Installer Community

OOPs wrong house

Guest securityconsultant

Guest securityconsultant

I thought it was about time I came clean,

Your'e all going to love this one.

All I can say is I've learned a lesson I hope

Anyway long story short back in my early days of install I was sent of to install a nice simple domestic. "Drop by the landlords pick up the keys let yourself in and the customer will be back about half four for the handover " Couldn't be simpler . Well gets to the landlord gets the key off I go.Gets to the street chacks the house no one the key (First mistake)lets myself in and off I go.

After the first few ccts are in I noticed that the salesman had his spec back to front ( Front right should be front left ) So as with all good install enginers I binded the spec and carried on ( secound mistake ). By half three I'm finished and all there is to do is drink customer tea (which with some hunting I found ) And watch customers TV.

Half four comes and goes no customer. Just as I'm about to give up and go (Half five ) In comes mr customer

"Hello mr X" says luckless engineer "NO" snarls customer ,"WHo the hell are you "

20 mins later and a lot of please don't call the police its established that the landlord owns more then one house on the street and gave me the wrong keys....

Thankfully I managed to get the new customer to agree to pay for the system at a large discount !!!!!

Note to all newbies

ALWAYS FIT IN THE ADRESS ON THE SPEC

Dave

Thats a Cracker of a tale, Thanks for sharing :)

I actually managed to service the wrong alarm system once, knocks on the door (correct address, correct postcode), introduces myself and without any comment he lets me in, service goes fine, no hitches, so writes the chap out a report sheet and leaves to go to my next job. Several hours later the boss phones and asks why i havnt been to so and so`s house yet, I explain ive been and hes signed for the service, ohh ok says the boss ill let her know youve been and dealt with her hubby. Anyway the boss phones back rather gobsmacked to tell me she`d been waiting in all day for me and wasnt married, so who had I been to service.

Turns out there was a clerical error, I arrived at the address i`d been given, but it wasnt the correct address. So the boss sends Mr X a bill for the service and funnilly enough he`s been a customer ever since. :)

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

• 5 years later...

I once went to Rainham railway station to return the customer's repaired VCR (this was a few years ago!).

After a lot of convincing and the customer examining my ID card, the customer allowed me in to take our service spare out, and to refit their original repaired VCR. Nice easy job for once.

A few weeks later, I was turning off the M25 somewhere North East of London. I noticed a sign saying "Rainham" which was noone near where I went a few weeks ago. Found out there were TWO RAINHAMS! ...one in Essex and one in Kent!

There was a 50/50 change whether I had gone to the right job - of course I had gone to the wrong place! It wasn't even one of our sites! Problem was, the customer's actual VCR had now been placed in another site as a service spare. Had to sort it out - find the customer's original VCR, return it with a red face and go to the current Rainham station!!

Matt

in my days as a shop steward i arranged for other shop stewards to meet at my house for a discussion and meet each other for forming closer ties, so people start turning up i've never seen before, i welcome them in with "are you here for the meeting" in they came, so we got chatting while waiting for any others.

people airing there views about this and that, using graphic languadge but i noted one guy is very quiet, thinking him perhaps shy or new to his post i decided to break the ice and asked where he was from - "i keep my personal details private" the terse reply came back. so a bit puzzled - stunned silence from the guys.

suddenly, now feeling a bit more warey i asked him was he here for the eetpu meeting, "no, the Jehovah's witness's meeting" he'd got the wrong house and should have gone to my neighbours, once in faced with all the industrial language from 20 + blokes he was too scared to own up.

i assured him he was in no danger from us, just managed to get him out the front door with a straight face - before everyone else just erupted and collapsed laughing.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

• 4 years later...

Wrong house has to be the best of 

Knocked on customer door and asks for Mrs X and she lets me in. 

Explains the panel keeps beeping so I go away to look at it. 

My note says customer has EuroSec system but I have a Yale looking keypad. 

Goes outside to look at Bell box and its a Yale alarm.   Look on the door number and notices the 6 should be a 9.    

It is a mistake easy to make when it dark.   Customer did then let us install a new alarm for her and we all laugh about that now. 

Another ressurection :D

Okay, when in my dark distant Locksmith days was called to a gas leak.

Remit was never to enter unless accompanied but this was superceeded by the Duty Officer and confirmed with a certain code we had.

Opened window to flat in a council block ( Window was easier than the locks on the doors) and entered property, opened the door (bedroom) onto the hall and saw a family watching TV in the front room. Wife , a couple of children I could see and a bloke.  After a quick RA (Take note plastic coppers) went back insie bedroom, shut door and exited thru window and relocked it.

Frantic call to town hall revealed they had given the callers address, not the flat to force entry!!!!!

Another one , on site with plumber when residents came back from pub or what ever. Bloke saw us, ran into bedroom and came back out with a sawn off shotgun, we legged it to vans and called plod.

Was all sorted and we were given a tenner each and a case of beer from the gun toting person. We had called fpr assistance, not firearms. We knew the estate and had to work there a lot, so a little discression was used when calling plod. Hence the appreciation from the bloke.

Who says we have a boring job!!

Then there was the time the US Marines held guns to our heads, but you can hear about that another time :P

Archived